This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  williamthebold 1 month, 1 week ago. This post has been viewed 188 times

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

For those who once read George Orwell’s 1984 this is an interesting comparison with the world today.http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20180507-why-orwells-1984-could-be-about-now?ocid=global_culture_rss&ocid=global_bbccom_email_07052018_culture
    If the link does not work just try 1984 BBC.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Thanks Abirdo … an interesting read. I enjoyed 1984 when I first read it, a great analysis of power, surveillance and oppression.

“It is not only that we live in a world transformed by Orwell’s insights in that it shapes how we see oppression. But 1984 is also handbook for difficult times. Knowledge is a kind of strength and we are all being tested.”

Made me think, if knowledge is a kind of strength then lack of knowledge is an even greater strength, especially when it lies in the minds of autocratic leaders who seek to reduce the population to their own level, that is if the population is not already there already and eager to ‘follow’ the simplistic slogans ’n solutions of those out in front.

“Make … great again” … rings a bell.

Salina
    Participant

How interesting to read different interpretations of 1984, especially in relation to modern politics and life issues.

For example, the only politician quoted in that article is Pres Trump.    But then I got to the end of the piece, and realised the publication was The BBC, which put the entire piece into perspective for me.

Not a single mention of how today, one is branded racist, homophobic, uncaring, hateful, and even sued in courts for expressing an OPINION which is not in line with the current groupthink.

My opinion…..we have been evolving into a 1984 world for a generation at least.

Try saying one doesn’t believe  Anthropogenic Global Warming is a 100% fact.    Your five year old grandchild will condemn you out of hand.   Brainwashing and group think exist more today than ever before. We are living 1984.    But it’s insidious, and that’s the cleverness of it.

williamthebold
    Participant

We need two things.
    We need truth.
    And we need to be guided by truth.
    Ipso facto etc.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Agree Williamthebold … trick is … who will provide it?

“Not a single mention of how today, one is branded racist, homophobic, uncaring, hateful, and even sued in courts for expressing an OPINION which is not in line with the current groupthink.”

Or of how today, one is branded PC, snowflake, lovey, lefty, tree-hugger, feminazi or hounded by the right-wing press and their devotees for expressing an OPINION which is not in line with their perspective.

Salina, two sides to everything I believe. Thank goodness today in Australia you can express any opinion via social media and comment whatever your views IMO … without being exterminated for it.

So many opportunities to express one’s opinion these days.

Wasn’t always so and still isn’t in many places.

williamthebold
    Participant

I think we should provide it. (the truth)
    By observation, logical thought, debate, and ALWAYS discarding that which is not clearly truthful.
    We need also to have a clear understanding of how our brain works and controls our body too.
    Understand our instincts and learned behaviour?
    Form ideas, share them with others, and gradually arrive at truthful principles.
    It concerns me that most people I have met just accept what they are told without demur.
    They don’t like their boat rocked.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15