A cup of slemp

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tivolidreamer 4 years, 1 month ago. This post has been viewed 746 times

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

tivolidreamer
    Participant

This is a traditional Dutch drink I have enjoyed many times in Holland. Great after skating on the ice in Winter! WE were pretty awful skaters but the Dutch have been doing it for years as the lakes freeze over.I got the recipe from a beautiful old Dutch lady I knew well. At eighty she was also a much much better skater than we were .

Ingredients
    • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
    • 3 tsps black tea (optional)
    • 1 cinnamon stick
    • 1/2 tsp saffron threads
    • 1/2 tsp ground mace
    • 4 cup milk
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 2 tbs salt to taste
    Method
    • STEP 1 Tie spices in cloth bag and boil in milk.
    • STEP 2 Hang spices in milk, add lemon and salt then simmer for 1 hour.
    • STEP 3 Add sugar.
    • STEP 4 Remove bag and serve. You can leave bag in longer if you like it stronger to brew.
    Notes
    I have replaced sugar with sweetener and used skim milk and it is satisfactory but lets face it nothing quite beats full cream milk and sugar. It’s often drunk after ice skating etc. Great for Christmas in a cold climate but not here in. Much nicer drinking it outside! Perhaps after the footy on a cold day.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  tivolidreamer.

tivolidreamer
    Participant

Saffron is a bit expensive but cannot think of a better substitute.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

🙂 Yummo Tiv … can you just come round with the doings already made in a large heatproof container. The gate’s open!!

tivolidreamer
    Participant

Of course Jen. My wife loves it when I make this. She detests any sort of cooking lol.
    Its really lovely.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15