A lovely Day

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Salina 7 months, 3 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 239 times

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

We met a son for lunch Friday, he took us to” Young and Jackson’s”( for those that don’t know that hotel, it is a icon in Melbourne, across the road from Flinders st station). In all the years I worked in Melbourne I have never  ever been in that hotel. It used to be thought of as the working mans pub. But these days it is very respectable and just lovely upstairs in the dining room.

We waited on the top of the steps at Flinders st station  for our son,gosh that brought back memories standing there looking at all the people crossing the intersection, trams rumbling past, motor bikes  and cars roaring around. Lovely St Paul’s Cathedral , but the view spoilt by Federation Square, I am one person that  thinks that square is dreadful those buildings look like army camouflage huts, no trees, no  flower beds . But looking at all the people walking past ,  greeting others, taking photos , all just seemed happy  to be out and about, no one looked like they had any   worries , but I guess many probably did. It was a lovely different sort of day for us, out and about and chatting with our number two son.

• This topic was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by bettyh Vic bettyh Vic.
    • This topic was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Ray Lewis Ray Lewis.

Salina
    Participant

Bettyh, before I was retrenched from my job (I refuse to say retired)  I worked in the city for a long long time, and walked that intersection many times.   Yes, Young and Jacksons, 40 years ago was, as you so politely put it,  a working mans pub.   If I recall, it was mainly well known for a painting of a nude woman.   It was, I think, called Chloe.  We kind of scurried past as though we might be infected with such salacious goings on.

How funny to compare those attitudes with today.

When Southbank was constructed, I walked across Flinders St many times in my lunch hour, across the bridge and strolled past the cafes enjoying the sights.   Other times I walked along the river bank .

Melbourne sure is a lovely city or was.   Now with all the high rise I think it’s losing the originality that has made it so attractive.   But they tell me it’s progress.

bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

I agree Salina entirely about ruining Melbourne The number of wonderful buildings that have been demolished  is appalling.

Re Chloe ,what an uproar when it was discovered that a  painting of a nude girl was hanging in the bar at this hotel in Melbourne– oh horror  of horrors,sounded as if we were all doomed such  salacious going on’s in staid old Melbourne.

Really its the loveliest painting of a nude young lady just standing almost side on, and  I doubt anyone could take any  exception to it. It now hangs upstairs in the dining room.

Salina
    Participant

I couldn’t resist. :)”:

Melbourne in the 1950s was certainly a bastion of conservative values, with nary a ripple of discord from its citizens. Men wore hats and suits and women wore hats and gloves and everyone was awfully nice and chiefly concerned with domesticity. Politically, Prime Minister Robert Menzies was at the helm, WWII was over, the men were home, the women were shuffled back to the kitchen, the pubs closed at 6 o’clock, families were moving out to the newly created suburbs and all seemed right with the world.

http://www.howretro.com/2012/04/1950s-melbourne.html

It was, as comedian Barry Humphries once remarked, “like going to a party and dancing all night with one’s mother”.

………………………………………………………………………

Runner Ron Clarke lights the Olympic Flame in 1956

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15