A Most Remarkable Bird Indeed

Welcome to the Greypath National Seniors Website Forums CoffeeHaus A Most Remarkable Bird Indeed

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by bettym bettym 3 weeks, 1 day ago. This post has been viewed 168 times

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

rayl
    Keymaster

I have bit to do with wild birds in a marine sanctuary, and a few come to me on call. A such I was entranced by the capability of this bird, and hope anyone who bothers to watch it, [click here on this youtube link], enjoys the show!

Dusty WA
    Dusty WA
    Participant

Remarkable indeed Ray ,quite a character

Salina
    Participant

Not only the ability to mimic sounds, but she recognises the name of each.   Great video, thanks Ray.

Tulip
    Tulip
    Participant

Thank you Ray, since the drought, we have become the “Waterhole” for Topknot Pigeons ,Butcherbirds,Magpies,some small clean ones (They come daily to bathe)that love the Passiflora hedge’s blossoms, also a couple of colourful Parrots

pome
    Participant

Fantastic improves the day thank you.

rayl
    Keymaster

Keep doing it Tulip. Many birds will stick around after things improve, much to our ongoing delight. I have written and or published many books on stuff including some scientific books. One being about the  birds of our local marine sanctuary. Ive got to know many of them personally and they me. In an outdoor restaurant where birds are unwelcome, A wattle bird that I call Charlie, comes when I call, and sneaks in under the table to sit on my leg while I surreptitiously feed him.  I know it sounds odd but can also talk five words in crow, after hearing about such calls on line!

Salina
    Participant

My late sister got into a routine , after her husband passed away, of sitting out on the back verandah with a cup of tea and biscuits.   Doves started to curiously wander in, and of course they got some crumbs.   After some time of this routine,, she would call out:  “Come on”, and blow me down about 50 doves would fly in, and she scattered seed for them.

They had got to know her routine and her voice, so whole families of birds would fly in.  Wonderful.   Birds are wonderful creatures.   Have often wondered why the nickname: bird brain came about. They are quite intelligent.

Magpies can recognise faces…so if you live near where they nest, they won’t swoop you.   But if a stranger walks past, they will.

They mate for life, which is remarkable.

bettym
    bettym
    Participant

I thought it strange pictures of a bird it bobbing up and down but no sound.
    So off goes the computer, next day to my surprise up comes bird and all the sound -terrific. My daughter says hey thats fake, no way we say, remember that bird at the garden centre in its cage every time we spoke it repeated what we said. Mmm says daughter.
    They say animals and especially birds are very intelligent.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15