A Train Journey

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by abirdo abirdo 4 months ago. This post has been viewed 172 times

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

Into Melbourne yesterday, as I have said before, the graffiti is appalling and there seems to be more of it, almost every brick wall, every wooden fence is covered, some interesting but mostly its just scrawly scribble and how they get up on to the roof to deface chimneys I wonder about, also when do they do it? during the day? surely people would see them and report them ?

Goodness knows what overseas visitors think about all this graffiti . Strange people live in Melbourne hey?

abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

I was there 10 years ago and it was just like this then so a long-standing problem there. Going to Adelaide it was horrendous to see all the train windows scratched with similar graffiti. Kids with nothing better to do and no sense of pride.

Salina
    Participant

The people who deface walls  etc., know they can’t be caught, and even if they were, the magistrates here in Victoria would probably give them a hug, say “there, there, did Mummy smack you when you were little?   Not your fault you’ve turned into a criminal”

williamthebold
    Participant

My memory of Melbourne is not the graffiti, but the noise in the railway station.
    In Sydney, the trains ‘whisper’ their way in to the station.
    Not so for Melbourne: when trains arrive, the din is appalling.
    One could be forgiven for thinking world war III had started.
    That was when I was there in 2010.
    I hope it is better now, or all train travellers will most likely have gone deaf.
    Sorry Melbourne. I am sure you will see better days.

malmather
    malmather
    Participant

I dislike any city,  Born and brought up on the outskirts of Manchester I thought nothing of living in a city until I moved into a small village in Lincolnshire,  there I found people who had time to talk to you, many didn’t even bother to go into Lincoln which although classed as a city was really a big town,  villages and small country towns have fields with real animals in them,  walks down lanes without the danger of being run over and without having to breath smoke and fumes.  I have been to Sydney once,  and Melbourne four times,  once to visit my daughter who was working there,   once when driving through to get to Lakes Entrance and twice to the airport while transfering flights,  those visits have been enough for me.  Give me small country towns and villages every time

abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

A man after my own heart! The air is so clean here that lichen grows on solar panels and tarmac as well as on the trees.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15