A xmas Present

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Salina 5 months, 2 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 229 times

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

I meant to mention before just before xmas- we had a lovely xmas present a Blackbird built a nest right in the corner of a small  wrought iron rack that is fastened on the house wall as  you step out of our back door in to our very small courtyard. A very strange place to choose. Every time we go out, its slide the door very quietly and slowly but I do think she has got used to us now, although if we come up the other way meaning from back garden that can frighten her and she takes off. Dad is around every so often checking.

But hooray the two eggs have hatched,  today  we managed to look  in nest and  saw two fluffy little pink bundles.  I wonder how the little ones will manage to get from the nest as its pretty high up,hate to think they might just fall out on to the stones below.Will keep fingers crossed they  will be OK.

jackSprat
    jackSprat
    Participant

Marvellous image.

williamthebold
    Participant

I think mum blackbird will know the right time to ‘push them out’ of the nest.
    You could put down an old mattress, just in case? *_*

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Lovely story BettyH. Thanks for posting.

Salina
    Participant

Bettyh, it’s a thrill to have wildlife so close and accepting of us.   I’m sure the babies will be ok.

Your story reminds me of a David Attenborough piece on tv, where a particular type of duck builds a nest very high up in trees, and when the ducklings are just a few days old, they have to hurl themselves from the nest to the ground and then follow Mum to the nearest water.

Nature is astonishing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15