Alzheimer's

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by bettyh Vic bettyh Vic 12 months ago. This post has been viewed 516 times

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

rob
    Participant

The final result of Alzheimer’s disease hit home for me this week.

My sister died on Tuesday evening.

She had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease about 5 years ago, though really,  I do believe she had suffered for longer than that.  Her phone calls had become just repetitions of what we had discussed the previous week.

She became unable to swallow food,  even the liquefied, thickened food – she choked on it.

She knew/recognised no-one in her family for the past three years.  She went from a very robust,  perhaps overweight lady,  to someone who  weighed just 45kg.

Fortunately,  her sons and daughter refused to have PEG feeding tubes installed,  and she passed away during her sleep.

She was aged 87.

I am sad,  but I feel she is probably in a better place now

Salina
    Participant

Rob, please accept my condolences for your very sad loss.

Alzheimers is such a cruel disease, as much for the loved ones, as for the patient.

The medical profession is making some progress I believe, in finding the causes, and possibly ultimately, a cure.

I think that currently there is progress in slowing the effects .   Too late for many, but hope for some.

didi - VIC
    didi – VIC
    Participant

Rob please accept my sympathy on the death of your sister – she certainly suffered with her condition; it is extremely hard for her relatives and friends to see their loved one who is no longer the person they once were.
    I hope that you feel comforted that she is no longer in a state of where she didn’t want to be.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Very sorry to hear that Rob. My condolences to you and your family.

Rachel
    Rachel
    Participant

Condolences to you and your family Rob.
    I am caring for my husband who has this disease. It’s not an easy journey for either the patient or the carer. The patient at least doesn’t know that they have asked the same question or told the same story many times in one day but the carer does and it’s very very hard not to scream out in frustration.
    Your sister is in a good place now.

rob
    Participant

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and wishes.

It is a difficult time right now.

bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

Rob, condolences from me its always sad to lose someone in the family , even when its expected it still becomes  a very sad time for all.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15