Australian National Flag Day

Welcome to the Greypath National Seniors Website Forums CoffeeHaus Australian National Flag Day

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Salina 2 weeks, 1 day ago. This post has been viewed 97 times

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Salina
    Participant

I didn’t know this date…quite interesting.  I suspect not many do.

I’ve been out this morning, and didn’t see one flag displayed.   I don’t have one , but this encourages me to get one.

——————————————————————–

Australian National Flag Day is an opportunity for individuals, community organisations, local authorities, businesses and schools to celebrate with pride the anniversary of the Australian National Flag.
    Australian National Flag Day, proclaimed in 1996 as a national day, celebrates the first time the flag was flown on 3 September 1901.  On that day Prime Minister Edmund Barton announced the winners of a competition to design a flag for Australia. A large flag, 5.5 metres by 11 metres, was flown over the dome of the Exhibition Building in Melbourne.  At that time the flag was known as the Commonwealth blue ensign; later, the flag became known as the Australian National Flag.
    All Australians are encouraged to fly or display the Australian National Flag to celebrate Australian National Flag Day on 3 September each year.

Link

Tulip
    Tulip
    Participant

I just passed a Child Minding centre Salina & there was a Flag flying there/

bettym
    bettym
    Participant

I am another person who did not know it was Australian National Flag Day.
    In fact I don’t recall ever hearing about our flag at all re a National Flag Day. I really am a staunch Aussie citizen and feel cross that we don’t hear about many Australian special days, festivals, concerts, etc, that happen all over this land of ours.
    The Media is obsessed with crime etc and that’s mostly what we hear about almost nonstop. We have many actors, singers, Orchestra’s, Music groups, sports people etc, but seldom ever hear of them, unless its footie or cricket then we hear about those players nonstop . But then – regardless I would rather be here in Australia than elsewhere these days,

Salina
    Participant

Tulip, good to hear.   I think some places fly the flag permanently, which is nice.

Bettym, couldn’t agree more.  It would be nice to see a bit of publicity relating to our national days, etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15