Bad Language

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  williamthebold 2 weeks, 4 days ago. This post has been viewed 144 times

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

I am surprised at how many people use the four letter word starting with F. In   fact I think it appalling . I remember when I was a lot younger no way would any man use that word in front of a woman,  any  swearing was  also frowned upon in front of women.If any rude word slipped out, always  many apologies.

These days it seems in common use,you hear it nonstop in some movies, that American movie  called’ I Tonya’ about  the champion skating girl   that word was in use almost nonstop. it makes me shudder when I hear it . Quite distasteful.  Politicians  need some rules on their language also.

malmather
    malmather
    Participant

betty,  some think that using obscenities make them look like big tough men,  in my opinion it has the very opposite effect,

abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

When I came to Oz in 1966 Bloody was the great Australian adjective and had no shock value even then. Hopefully the same will happen with the old English words currently being used. I believe the constant use of these words, in books as well, merely goes to show what a poor grasp of language and vocabulary most have these days. Children brought up in homes where this language is used all the time will naturally think that is the way to speak.

williamthebold
    Participant

That ‘f’ word. (sigh)
    I was once told it was a good old anglo-saxon word.
    Whatever it is, it is a legitimate word with proper meaning and has a proper place in our language.
    I suggest it is not the word itself that causes distress, but the intent of the person using it?
    One who introduces the ‘f’ word at the wrong time can occasion some very raised eyebrows by doing so.
    I have observed too, that some who hear it can be caused even greater discomfort than raised eyebrows.
    Maybe that was what was intended?
    (you might usefully follow this idea through, and ask yourself why some feel so awkward about the ‘f’ word)
    Used in it’s proper place, our ‘f’ word is all ok.
    Having said that, I am reminded that a group of men will often use it, and much more colourful words as well, when talking amongst themselves.
    There is no intent to harm or offend. It is just a way of expressing ideas forcefully.
    I, for one, have never taken any offence, or felt distress, at the use of such words in a gathering of men.
    As long as they are otherwise expressing themselves well, and making sense that is.
    I must relate here that I once met a lady who used many such words, with great aplomb, during her normal conversation.
    I must admit my first reaction to hearing her speak was not positive.
    Later, when I could see that it was totally natural for her to talk that way, I accepted it readily.
    I subsequently found out that she had been around shearing sheds for most of her early life.
    It was so natural for her to use those words, and she used them with such complete artlessness, that after a time I barely noticed, and enjoyed our conversations.
    She clearly meant no offence or harm to anyone, and I liked her for her ‘realness’.
    She is one of the many interesting ‘personalities’ I have met in my life.
    She taught me a lesson in context as well.
    So keep the ‘f’ word in its right place of course, but please see the other side of the coin, and don’t over-react when you hear it used (perhaps) improperly?
    Be a little accepting of the quirkiness of others?
    As long as they mean no harm, there is nothing to be really concerned about?
    Your life won’t stop because you hear a word misused!
    Great Aunt Matilda, as she gazed at you balefully through her pince-nez, was not always right?

Salina
    Participant

Even though I don’t watch Masterchef now (I did the first versions,) one sees the ads for it.

The hosting chefs are perfect gentlemen.

Therefore when I saw Gordon Ramsey was to be a guest ‘celebrity” chef, I lost a lot of respect for the three hosts.

Ramsey has a limited vocabulary, as far as I can see, and his overwhelming use of that word renders any program of his unwatchable.   I didn’t watch it, but one saw the ads,  in which the station delighted in showing the public, extended parts of his ten or so f’s in as many seconds.

I had a friend(late), who was the one of the wisest people in my life.

He didn’t lecture or pontificate, but could speak wisdom in just a few words.   He would have described Ramsey as an “intellectual midget”.   I would agree.

PS  I’m no prude, I can assure you.

williamthebold
    Participant

Just another idle thought or two:
    I think it was Ian Fleming who, in one of his books, (you only live twice?), noted that a man can’t get through the day without a healthy sprinkling of ‘b’ and ‘f’ words.
    Great Aunt Matilda’s look: it would be determined with a hint of menace. A suggestion of threat. Definite, inflexible.
    Just so you know. *_*

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15