Billy Graham turns 99

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by malmather malmather 2 months ago. This post has been viewed 170 times

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tulip
    Tulip
    Participant

Speaking of ageing, Billy Graham turns 99! Whether you are a forgiven sinner or an atheist an interesting person. I was in London 1954 when the newspapers were advertising Billy Graham’s meeting at Harringay,I thought, “just another American preacher”(I was already a believer)but as soon as I heard this man speak, I realised he was not “just another American preacher ” but a very genuine person.
    He has taken the gospel to 185 countries. In 1973 South Africa refused to hold meetings, until they could be integrated & finally were Durban & Johannesburg.
    Two decades earlier he personally removed the ropes that segregated the crusades audience in Chattanooga,Tennessee.Now he lives quietly at home, but his son has organised Teams of volunteers go to various parts of the world where there have been disasters, Terrorism attacks to minister to those needing help

abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

Ah Yes! I remember his ‘Crusades’ at Wembley stadium when I was at school. At the end of his messages was that invitation to ‘Come, come’ and people poured down onto the field. I am definitely a non-believer of any religions dreamed up by mankind. In later years I realised what a terrific hypnotist Billy was!

Salina
    Participant

He certainly had a commanding presence at his gatherings.   I think he was about the first to realise the potential of televising his events.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Went to a Billy Graham crusade many years ago in Sydney. Very slick event, huge sound systems. Everyone was asked to “Come on Down” or whatever the catch-cry was.

My female friend and I didn’t. Wow … all attention focussed on us … the ‘unbelievers’ … through the loud speaker system.

So intimidating, bordering on abusive. No respect for Billy Graham after that experience.

jay
    Participant

He’s still alive ?

Couldnt stand the con man – but so many silly people fell for his bs

malmather
    malmather
    Participant

I seem to remember that on that last day of them all, the crusades at wembley stadiun about  15,000 people went down at the call,  of course we can’t know what happened to all of them,  but i would think that the majority would have had their lives changed for ever,  and many would have ended up as pastors,  vicars or missionaries,  so a lot of good things came about by those crusades

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15