Charmed Lives

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by JJS JJS 5 months, 3 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 339 times

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

williamthebold
    Participant

I see graphic news stories on tv, dealing with the horrors of war in some countries, and I feel compelled to write a few words.
    We live charmed lives compared to people in many other parts of the world.
    I think we should remember their plight, and count ourselves fortunate by comparison.
    With that in mind, perhaps we might stop agitating over small personal grievances?
    Are these grievances all that important?
    Those people would swap their appalling circumstances for ours in a minute if they could.
    I fear for young children in war torn countries. It must be an horrific existence.
    In practical terms, what we can do is never enough for them.
    Help given cannot meet the demand for medical and other assistance.
    They are too many, and we are too few.
    Still, we need to spare thought for these people.
    It is disturbing at the very least.
    I can’t say more than that at this time.
    Perhaps others can add a useful thought or two?

Salina
    Participant

Wars have been part of the world’s history since humans first arrived.

Organisations like the UN have come into being in modern times.   Unfortunately, they have become a toothless tiger.    Much as we’d all like to see peace on Earth, I think that as humans we are a long way off from evolving into a peaceful species.

Yes, we’ve had it pretty good here, and in theory it would be wonderful to share our good fortune.

Sadly, some of those conflicts are starting to manifest themselves here in Australia via terror attacks and lawlessness.

When you have a new suburb in Melbourne, populated by mostly young families, now too terrified to use their local park, because of this:

“Residents say they are too scared to use a park and community centre because it is controlled and trashed by local youths, leading its frustrated owners to consider selling it rather than pay soaring maintenance costs.
    The community centre in Tarneit’s small Ecoville Park estate in Melbourne’s west was built seven years ago but residents say it has become a meeting point for local young people over the past year.
    Extensive damage, including graffiti with the gang-related Menace to Society tag, started to escalate three months ago. ­Recently the glass panels of the building were smashed, they say.
    Residents told The Australian that groups of young men of African appearance gathered in the park most nights, smashing property and leaving rubbish.”   The Australian

it’s a little difficult to have a lot of sympathy.

I’m sure we all have great sympathy for the victims of the savages who kill and maim, and even worse.   Wiser minds than mine have philosophized on these things, and yet wars continue non stop.

I think those of us in this age group have seen the best of what we can be.   Is it too late?

I don’t know.

johnvic
    Participant

“Animal behaviour and how it relates to humans, Kathryn Stutzman:
    How do we, as humans, handle this apparent violent nature of ours? Do we write off violence as something inescapable, and decide that world peace is the ultimate unattainable, idealistic goal? As a pacifist how does one deal with this kind of evidence? There still might be some hope. This hope can be found in human history, theory, and in scientific evidence from other animal behaviour studies. By understanding how we developed this way, why it was necessary, and our gains and losses from this as a species we may have the potential to create a world without war. One of the key points involved is our tendency to do something called pseudospeciation. Pseudospeciation occurs when we fail to recognize all of humanity as one species but instead think of a religious, national, or cultural group as solely our species. On a small scale, this can lead to stereotyping and lack of recognition for people not belonging to the “in group.” On a broader scale it leads to prejudice, racism, slavery, and war. The chimpanzees of Gombe displayed behaviours not unlike this pseudospeciation in the war between the two segments of their community. It is likely that the same tendencies that humans have were gained through evolution. These tendencies make members of the “out group” seem like they are subspecies. When viewed as strangers and aliens, their life is no longer worthy because it has been separated and labelled as “non-human” to the “in group”.
    Conclusion: In conclusion, based on our knowledge of evolution and animal behaviour, war and violence are natural human behaviours. War has brought much destruction and pain upon humanity and the environment over time, but it has also brought valuable learning and evolutionary advancements. This does not mean that a hope for peace is out of the question. With knowledge of the development and causes of conflict, humans can effectively find ways to deal with it and transform conflict and violence into peace. Peace might be a difficult goal to attain, but possibly not out of the realm of reality.”
    https://www.goshen.edu/bio/Biol410/bsspapers05/Kat.html

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

I get so damned frustrated with GreyPath on occasion. Tried to post a long reply to you all on this thread but it wouldn’t post.

Out of sheer angst, used the back button to take a screenshot of the rejected content to post as a picture below. Hope you can get the gist, links won’t work obviously.

Thanks to all for your thought-provoking comments.

williamthebold
    Participant

Thank you Salina, Johnvic and Jen. You have indeed given me food for thought.
    Kathryn Stutzman is right when she says we are not evolved to live in large groups. (paraphrasing a bit there)
    For all of our history, it has been small groups, fighting other groups who might want to encroach on their territory.
    Sound familiar?
    I see the only remedy being education, and diverting aggressive behaviour in to more peaceful pursuits.
    I remember reading that prisoners in a jail somewhere were given animals to look after. It made a big difference.
    They did it well. I am sure it added a new perspective to their lives.
    Similarly, some prisoners grow gardens? I think that is right. Much the same result?
    But it would take tens of thousands of years for humans to ‘evolve out of’ the mindset we have now.
    Before then, nature will catch up with us, and trim our numbers dramatically I am sure.
    That will change outlook quicker than we could ourselves.
    In the mean time, children, who have not yet reached the awareness of adults, who have a relatively innocent and trusting approach to life, are caught up in outrageous conflicts, and are suffering badly.
    When they become adults, they will take all those horrors with them.
    I think it must affect them, and make it difficult for them to adjust well to society as adults.
    I still find it hard to accept their plight, though I know I must.
    It won’t help them if we lower our standards. We must continue to generate a healthy and wealthy society here.
    It just seems a bit unfair sometimes is all.
    Thank you again for your profound comments.

malmather
    malmather
    Participant

Very interesting,  however my view is simple   I learned a lesson many years ago,  “do the right thing or get your bottom smacked”.   as long as people get away with behaving badly they will keep on doing it.  we have courts which will give light sentences for really bad crimes,  the main reason being that gaols are already overcrowded.  the reason gaols are overcrowded is that people get light sentences,  the way to stop gaols being overcrowded is to make sure that prison life is so hard so there will be no-one who wants to go there twice,  instead it’s mobile phones.  tv’s,  computer games and drugs brought in by relatives. In many cases gaol is better than outside for some,  everything they want even “conjugal visits” from wives or girlfriends all for free and no end of psychiatric help when all they should be getting is a smacked bottom

bannie
    Participant

Do jail terms relate to the cost of keeping a prisoner there I believe it is $80000 per year per prisoner. I t all comes down to the holy dollar in my opinion

JJS
    JJS
    Participant
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15