Children and computers

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by bettyh Vic bettyh Vic 4 months, 4 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 250 times

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Salina
    Participant

I sometimes wonder what the children of today will be like, as their lives become more dependent on computer technology.  I see kids everywhere staring at screens, oblivious to their surroundings.

Are we going to end up with a generation of pale, obese and  shortsighted people

malmather
    malmather
    Participant

young women are the same,  you rarely see one without a mobile phone held up to her ear,  they walk into the roads without looking sometimes

Salina
    Participant

True, mal.   A young woman staring at her phone just this morning, nearly walked straight into me on the footpath.    Luckily I’m moving a little faster than a month or so ago.

abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

I think its already frightening that their parents AND grandparents are unable to do simple maths. The things we learnt (uncomplaining) by rote have lasted all our lives. People are amazed that I still can do mental arithmetic faster than they can get answers on their calculators. They say ‘why bother’ and I say ‘But how do you know you have pressed the right keys when you have no idea what the answer should be?’ It really begs the question of how many errors – deliberate or otherwise – are being made in financial matters even at high levels.

bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

I was at  doctors  this morning and a mother  with her daughter were also  waiting, the daughter was about two, engrossed with her little I pad? mother was pointing out various things on the screen I don’t know if it was  just pictures  or a game, but if pictures if must be a help for later reading?

I remember when our eldest son was about two, we cut all these pictures out of papers and magazines pasted them up and every so often would ask him where is the car, truck , dog, cat, house etc, and so on ,we did that with our other children as well  We feel it certainly helped them with reading and so on, so an Ipad would be the same maybe???

bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

Re this staring at mobile phones etc, we have two grand children- boys -that spend most of their time playing games  on their phones etc, drives their fathers mad, both have now been banned from using their phones during the week, one boy in final year at school his marks have fallen way off much to fathers disgust. At least they do play a  team sport on weekend.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15