Citizenship

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Salina 1 month, 2 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 166 times

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Salina
    Participant

An interesting take on citizenship application from Professor Geoffrey Blainey, with which I agree.

“”Noted historian Geoffrey Blainey says Australia gives away cititzenship too easily — and that creates a problem for democracy.
    Professor Blainey told a Sydney audience that the essence of democracy was accepting defeat at an election, even if the electorate did not know much.
    “And that is a problem,” he said. “I think we give away citizenship rather too easily. Why should someone who has been in the country two or three years and does not know the language or the common discourse, why should they necessarily have a vote if voting is compulsory?’’  “”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/politics/geoffrey-blainey-says-giving-away-citizenship-to-easily-is-a-problem-for-our-democracy/news-story/bd638d79ca31582d5b6d6ed0b435b9b7

Salina
    Participant

PS

Prof Blainey has written a book with a very clever title:

Salina
    Participant

Another interesting line from  Prof Blainey in the article, with which I also agree:

“”Asked if he believed the study of history had become corrupted, Professor Blainey was circumspect but said there was no doubt the teaching of history was a “bit skewed”.  “”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15