Citizenship

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  william33 4 days, 19 hours ago. This post has been viewed 197 times

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

All that hoohah going on about politicians and their citizenship confused me. When I took Australian citizenship in 1975 I was told that dual citizenship was not allowed and I was no longer a British citizen. I just checked the website and find this was not true and I have retained dual citizenship. It seems that this type of misinformation could well have resulted in others being unaware that this was the case.
    There must have been politicians in the past, probably high profile ones, who did therefore not qualify to sit in parliament which begs the question how valid was all that legislation passed by those governments!!
    Commonsense should really have prevailed of course and no action taken until the next election which would obviously have saved a great deal of money. Money no object as shown in the latest plebiscite which should just have just come up as a proposed law.

Salina
    Participant

I think that the issue has been deliberately brought to the fore by troublemakers….and it might have backfired on them.

malmather
    malmather
    Participant

The whole thing is silly beyond compare,  we are probably all dual citizenship but don’t know it,  For all I know the Aboriginals might be the same,  we keep getting told that they are the first occupiers of this land,  but there is no real proof,  for all we know there could have been others before them who the Abiriginals killed off or assimilated with

johnvic
    Participant

MM, I have never thought of that. Modern Man arrived in Europe, interbred with and eventually killed off Neanderthal Man but the thought that a species of Humanoid was in “Australia” before the current Aborigine is quite interesting. Did you know that because of that interbreeding in Europe/Asia all Modern Man (except Africans) have between 2-5% Neanderthal blood in them. As for the subject of this topic you don’t have to go back tens of thousands of years to find Aboriginal people who may have duel citizenship. Since a great many of people in Australia have an Aboriginal and European parent or grand parent it’s entirely possible that many would not qualify to sit in Parliament.
    This whole situation is a farce, a waste of time and money.

Salina
    Participant

Malmather and Johnvic, two excellent posts.

Another minor issue contributing to the mess that our whole Parliament /Govt is becoming.

william33
    Participant

There is something I don’t understand. Before a person is eligible to be elected to parliament, they must establish that they are not dual citizens. Those with a british parent are ineligible apparently. But after being elected, at least those selected to be ministers must go before the governor general and swear allegiance to the crown? Do the others in parliament also do this? Isn’t this a bit odd? By swearing this allegiance they are effectively attaching themselves and us to the united kingdom? After being elected this is necessary, but before is not? Am I missing something here? Can someone with greater knowledge put me straight?
    I wonder too how far this dual-citizen restriction will go. What about the armed forces. Are those men and women who are technically dual-citizens ineligible to serve? I think a clear definition of citizenship needs to be legislated. My thought is that if you are born in a country, and live most of your life in that country, you are a citizen of that country and no other unless as an adult you take steps to change that. I like to keep it simple! ^_^

• This reply was modified 5 days, 22 hours ago by  william33.

Tabitha
    Participant

This is such an interesting topic. There are some wise minds in Grey path. We are indeed fortunate.

johnvic
    Participant

william33, It’s a joke, a farce and we the people of Australia are paying for it all. The whole idea that anybody who may have duel Australian/British citizenship is not eligible to sit in Australian government is a joke. What they’re saying is you can’t have British citizenship but you must pledge allegiance to the crown.
    To answer your question, yes, if a person has duel citizenship and has been in the Australian Defense Force they are still not able to sit in parliament. See this story about former senator Jacqui Lambie: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-08/tasmanias-two-new-senators-to-be-determined-by-recount/9240136

• This reply was modified 5 days ago by  johnvic.

william33
    Participant

Johnvic, I am sorry, but I didn’t make myself clear before.
    I meant to say ‘Are those men and women who are technically dual-citizens ineligible to serve IN THE DEFENCE FORCES?
    It crossed my mind that if so, there could well be a large outflow of men and women from those forces.
    I am sorry I didn’t make myself clear.
    My only excuse is that I am not as young as I once was.
    I hope you will understand. ^_^

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15