COOKING SHOWS: MY TAKE.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by malmather malmather 2 days, 19 hours ago. This post has been viewed 111 times

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

williamthebold
    Participant

Food is fuel, and should be:
    Cooked wherever possible. This is essential.
    Of as wide a variety as possible. This is essential.
    ALMOST always nourishing. This is essential too.
    (children do like a bit of cake and icecream)
    Made more palatable. That is desirable.
    Easy to prepare. That is also desirable.
    Well presented. That is pleasing, but nothing else.
    (a blind person wouldn’t know the difference)

Some cooking shows do impart knowledge, and demonstrate useful ideas.
    A few impart a pleasant feeling of being in a cosy kitchen.
    One might have experienced such a thing in childhood: it is a ‘feel good’ aspect of some of these shows.
    However, from what I have observed, most cooking shows emphasise only ‘desirable’ or lesser features of food preparation.
    Such shows are based on fallacy by my reckoning, unless they include other features of merit.
    Usually they don’t.
    Instead, they pander to instinctive behaviour in viewers, using hollow promise?

bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

The cooking shows presented these days are quite different from when they first started, then they were instructive, pleasant people showing us how to prepare, cook etc. These days they seem to be just very competitive, people being a bit nasty to each other,I cant be bothered with them, apart from I don’t want to learn how to prepare some elaborate dish that gives you no idea of preparing it and often looks a mess.

Salina
    Participant

Well said, betty and WTB.           They also focus  way too much on the back stories of the contestants, and consequently become nothing more than soap operas.

Salina
    Participant

I forgot to mention also:  we now have ‘celebrity’ chefs, plus the contestants who go on  to write books, open a restaurant, or have a tv cooking program, are referred to as ‘chefs’, when they  have not done  the years of school and hard slog in kitchens.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

I never watch cooking shows these days. Found the last ones I watched quite contrived and pretentious. Far too much added salt, sugar and fat/oils as well IMO.

Just cook old favourites and get new recipes online as needed now.

malmather
    malmather
    Participant

The first cooking show i remember was on english black and white tv years ago,  i can’t remember the name of it now,  but i watched it just to see what the husband was going to do.   The wife was the cook.  he recommended wines to go with each course,  With the soup he would recommend something then after making a big fuss over the best wine for the type of soup he would drink it,  then the main course,  another glass poured,  talked about it a little then drank it,  after another course he would be starting to wander a bit,  “this love er lovely little driink from the souther  er southern slips er slopes of the –andes,    alps is ideal with this stuff here that she is cooking.”  all the time his wife was getting more and more annoyed,  he died,  but there was a rumour about him being helped by something she had cooked

hibiscusrose
    hibiscusrose
    Participant

That might have been Fanny & Johnnie Craddock.   I remember them on our B & W   TV as well.

malmather
    malmather
    Participant

hibiscus rose,  you are right,  fanny and johnnie craddock,  he was a disaster

no-one remembered the recipe,  just him drinking,  i kept on expecting him to fall down at any time

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15