Cup bets

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by bettyh Vic bettyh Vic 1 week, 4 days ago. This post has been viewed 63 times

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

Originally just once a year we used to visit the TAB for a very mini flutter. These days I still pick 3 horses for win or place to make watching the race worthwhile – but I never put any money on it! I save such a lot too because I tend to pick horses that are mares (only one this year), female jockeys (none this year) or NZ horses (only 2). Although favourites are usually in the places the outright winner is often unexpected.

malmather
    malmather
    Participant

horse racing and dog racing is very often controlled by big bookmakers or criminal gangs,  it’s so easy to stop a horse or dog and fairly easy to make them faster but that can be detected easier,  I once knew a man who was a cartoonist for the “Manchester Evening News”,  he kept two greyhounds as a hobby,  not to make money out of them,  he told me about the two dog racing tracks in the Manchester area,  he wouldn’t let his dogs anywhere near one of them,  the goings on at the worst one were incredible,  more fiddles than the Halle Orchestra

Tedwalker
    Tedwalker
    Participant

I think most people attend just for the day out.
    The race is just an extra.

bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

I don’t care about the horse races, only ever went once way back in about 1958  yuck!- we took a party of VIP’s down to the races, and all they did was  run back and forward to the betting ring to place a bet. I couldn’t see the point of being there at all. These days it seems  mainly  about the ladies and their fashions  the horses seem to be an after thought,  it is predicted to be a chilly  rainy day so I wonder  if the ladies will rug up and hide their expensive gowns.?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15