Cyclists

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Timetrvlr Timetrvlr 5 months, 2 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 253 times

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rachel
    Rachel
    Participant

I say good on you if you cycle or walk a lot but please do safely and use commonsense and manners.
    When the local government has made cycle paths for you ,use them. Yesterday whilst driving in a suburb that has brand new paths wide enough for cyclists and pedestrians because the roads are narrow and winding ,there was the lone cyclist on the road holding up traffic because of his/her stupidity,selfishness, call it what you like and the one metre rule.
    In yesterdays newspaper I read that the state government is going to raise the height of the rails on Windan bridge so if a cyclist and pedestrian bump into each other it lessens the chance of either one going over the rail. Meanwhile they have asked cyclists to dismount and walk over the bridge. The bridge is part of a loop along the Swan river which is popular with both cyclists and pedestrians.
    Commonsense and manners would fix that and be cheaper Mr McGowan.
    Any walker will know that feeling as the cyclist whooshes past without letting you know they are coming. The cyclist also has to contend with pedestrians who cross sides without notice on the path but my answer to that is if you as a cyclist see pedestrians ahead isn’t it safer to slow down and use your manners by ringing your bell or calling out before you pass. If the cyclist is training and needs to maintain speed then find somewhere to do so other than busy roads or shared pathways.
    I once had a cyclist call out to me that she was coming through and if we clashed it was okay as she was a nurse. We both enjoyed the humour and went on our way calling out to each other to have a great day.

bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

I think courtesy and good manners has gone out the window for alot of folks these days, especially young folk.

Salina
    Participant

Cycle paths are a bandaid solution which causes huge problems for motorists as well as the cyclists.   The roads simply aren’t wide enough to accommodate them.   Where there tramlines as well as parked cars along the gutters it is a nightmare.  Those councilors promoting the idea of one metre width between cars and bikes need to get out a bit.   It is impossible to achieve.

Timetrvlr
    Timetrvlr
    Participant

Our small Canadian town has gone to a great deal of trouble to make bike/walking paths as well as bike lanes on major streets. I notice most cyclist ignore them. I no longer ride a bike because my balance has deteriorated so much. However we both ride electric mobility scooters and roam the neighborhoods mostly on bike lanes a sidewalks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15