Days Gone By

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by bettym bettym 1 week ago. This post has been viewed 95 times

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bettym
    bettym
    Participant

Speaking with some folks the other day, the subject of the way life used to be many years back came up, for example, prices of various products, Chocolate Frogs used to be a penny – who remembers pennies? I remember at primary school we used to go across the road at recess to buy toffees that the shop owner used to make, there were the hard ones and stick jaw ones, they were the soft ones, we could buy them for usually about threepence – again remember three pence’s?. There used to be a huge range of different lollies that we could buy, again no way these days. Probably why some of us have bad teeth.
    I remembered our primary school had lots of trees growing around the edges of the playground and we always climbed them when we could, can you imagine that being allowed these days? no way. I also remembered our local playing ground next to the school had air raid shelters dug all over the ground, we used to go down and play in them after school, I was always in trouble when arriving home as my shoes were always covered with mud.( that would have been in the forties)
    Also I think our washing days have been mentioned before- the big copper tub with boiling water and we had to keep the fire lit under the huge tub , lifting out the clothes with the big wooden copper stick, over to the concrete troughs, rinsed, then through the hand ringer ,then on to the clothes line, that was propped up with a big forked sticks cut from trees. How about the water heater that had wood sticks that we had to light to heat the water, then we got gas heaters, I still have the iron stand that our heater stood on. In fact one day I saw in an antique shop the very same type of stand and they were saying it was a garden stool. I just laughed. Oh gosh so long ago all those memories!!!

williamthebold
    Participant

It is good that we have pleasant memories.
    I think every older person has looked back with fondness to the time they were growing up.
    There is something about those carefree days that gives a warm stimulus to our imagination.
    But I think we probably remember those times as much better than they really were?
    So maybe we should look back with greater circumspection?
    In some ways it would be nice to be young once more, but that would mean going through all that ‘growing up’ again?

I remember on my first day of school an older girl student asking me if I knew how many pennies in a pound, and how many many shillings and so on.
    Luckily I did.
    I miss the ‘threepenny piece’.
    You could buy a lot with threepence.
    And the ‘home made’ honeycomb from the shop. Delicious.
    A halfpenny or a penny for the different sized pieces.
    The lollies tasted better too, as they were made for taste rather than ‘to be good for you’.
    And school outings in a bus. Magic.
    The education department sometimes arranged visits from people who showed us short ‘films’.
    They arrived in a ‘utility’ I think, and it towed a generator on a trailer.
    (there was no electricity at my first school, and only a tank for drinking water)
    One of the ‘films’ they showed us was ‘The Teddy Bears’ Picnic’.
    I particularly remember the song.
    Another time, a booklet was given to us by the commonwealth bank featuring ‘Nickety Split’, a woodland creature.
    It was meant to encourage us to save for a rainy day, just as Nickety Split’ did in the story in the booklet.

Most of the trees around my primary schools (and high school) were pines.
    In primary school, we climbed them Betty.
    We got gum from them on our skin and even our clothing.
    On occasions, we returned to the classroom with sundry dark stains on arms and legs.
    We also roamed through the bush areas adjacent to the school and played endless games there.
    Absolutely a no-no these days I am sure.
    We were able to squeeze a lot of activity in to the lunch break.
    The ringing of the bell summoned us back to school.

Salina
    Participant

Sixpence to get into the Saturday afternoon matinee, and threepence to spend on lollies! Richness!

Milk delivered by horse and cart, and sometimes we walked to the dairy with a billy to be filled, and the milk was rich and creamy, with thick cream at the top of the glass pint bottle.

The baker delivered the bread and handed unwrapped loaves to us…and we didn’t die..lol, and the bread tasted like bread..not clag. lol

Serials on the radio…the family sat around the radio listening to Dad and Dave,  Roy (Mo) Rene  , Yes, What, etc.

Peanut butter sandwiches in brown paper bags for school lunch, and string bags for Mums’ messages.

williamthebold
    Participant

Thank you for reminding me about ‘Yes What’ Salina.
    I learned valuable historical facts from listening to that radio serial.
    For example, I learned that Anne Boelyn was a ‘flat-iron’.
    Greenbottle told the class about it.
    He explained that Henry the Eighth pressed his ‘suit’ with Anne Boelyn, so naturally she must have been a ‘flat-iron’.
    Even Dr Pym, the master, had to agree; albeit briefly.
    As I said, valuable historical facts made easy to remember.
    Or was that hysterical facts?
    just a comment about the bread deliveries.
    Kids often met the baker with his horse and cart to take delivery of the bread.
    Sad to relate, quite a bit of the loaf was eaten by them before it got to mum in the kitchen.
    It tasted so good.

bettym
    bettym
    Participant

Oh yes such memories, I can think of plenty more but folks here would be bored.
    One of these days our children and grandchildren will be writing about their memories, actually writing is the wrong word , it will be using an iPad or some other technology gadget that will be in use. Maybe not writing at all maybe just talking out loud, and people will receive it?
    News of what is likely to be commonly in use in years to come is hard to comprehend, sometimes I feel pleased I wont be around as I have enough trouble these days understanding how it all works, and what numbers and letters all mean on gadgets advertised.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15