Do You Shop at Aldi?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Abbey NSW Abbey NSW 3 weeks, 5 days ago. This post has been viewed 416 times

Viewing 9 posts - 10 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

When you have pensioners and other families  struggling to cope, shopping at Aldi is alot cheaper for them. Not all their goods are from overseas , but we have a lot of people living here from overseas and they are probably happy to see  some of the brand names from their own country as we would be if living in another country.

But I do see a lot of food brand names that are the same as in Coles  and Woollies’, also their meat is a heck of a lot cheaper than at Woolworths where I usually do shop, but I tend to shop at Aldi now and then.    Aldi also sells a lot of household goods(not only food), fridges, washing machines, camping gear, clothes, children’s items, plants often, some of it is really interesting( it is varied on different weeks ) and we go in to give all their new stock arrivals (usually Wednesday) the once over just for interest,

Tedwalker
    Tedwalker
    Participant

Yes bettyh, I often go to Aldis just to wander up and down the central aisles where the unusual stock is situated.
    Quite often I find something I was not looking for, but it looks interesting, so I buy it.
    It’s a bit like wandering around a flea market. I’m not looking for anything, but I might see something that interests me.

Salina
    Participant

I was taken to an Aldi yesterday.   Never again!   Very limited in the range, and to be bustled along at the cashier desk, try to pack my stuff, and all this with a wheelie walker. Horrible.   In fact, while waiting to be hurried through the casher line, a woman charged past us yelling “Terrible service at Aldi…terrible.”

Never again for me, regardless of where they source their goods.

I’ve tried over the years to patronise the small family businesses.   They generally are a fraction dearer, but much fresher and friendly service.

bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

Selina  so sorry to hear you were not happy at  a Aldi store you went to. I have never had a bad experience at Aldi stores, but then it depends on the people in store at time, I think even Coles and Woolies can have a stupid person and spoil things for other shoppers. Yes Aldi doesn’t have a fresh food deli section  which can be annoying sometimes, but then depending where  I am shopping there are other well known stores close by so can slip into one of them. I don’t mind packing my own goodies, at least I can place them in carefully and not just chuck them in real fast like at other stores.

Tulip
    Tulip
    Participant

Betty, did you know that Aldi’s Cornflakes come from Germany, probably you were as unaware of it as I, until one day passing aldi’s ,remembering I needed Cornflakes for the topping of a dish I was making & only on arriving home, discovered the German Cornflakes! I thought about our Australian Farmers?!

vwupx888
    Participant

I have been shopping at Aldi for over 2 years and would agree that they do not always have the same brand names as the other supermarkets have , but overall they are cheaper on a a comparison of the same type of product and in terms of their quality standards, the goods I have bought are better quality than the same type of thing in the other places. To me Aldi is all about cheaper prices due to less wastage of money on expensive displays and numerous checkout chicks. OI have found the staff to be helpful and knowledgeable and would say that Aldi is here to stay and they will continue to get better as time goes by. One thing for sure they have forced Coles and Woolies to started reducing their prices and thgat must be a good thing for us with a few dollars less than the average australian. .

Salina
    Participant

Staff are helpful if one can find them.   The very few times I’ve been,  even before I had to use a walker,  I actually felt very sorry for the cashiers with long lines of customers and no-one else around to give them a hand.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Salina.
    Tulip
    Tulip
    Participant

I wonder, did anyone else forward the email re Dick Smith & Aldi.I did,& the replies, the reactions ,as though I had personally insulted them?!

Abbey NSW
    Abbey NSW
    Participant

I regularly shop at our local Aldi. Re cereal, I buy rolled oats and it says “Product of Australia”. Also I buy a sultana and berry cereal and it says “made in New Zealand from local and imported ingredients”, understandable when there is a long list of ingredients.

I have bought many things there that are made in Australia.  I also buy what I can’t get at Aldi,  at Coles or Woolies. I have noticed that in Coles deli, the fish are all imported, and in Woolies there are some Australian. Really, I think they all import from overseas if it is cheaper. But I would prefer Australian products.

Viewing 9 posts - 10 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15