Falls.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by malmather malmather 3 years, 8 months ago. This post has been viewed 1026 times

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Caddymag
    Caddymag
    Participant

If a person has a fall but is otherwise uninjured but is unable to rise but is able to get on hands and knees, how do you aid them to rise?

If the ambulance is called, they have the same problem.

didi - VIC
    didi – VIC
    Participant

the ambos have the skills to lift a person from any position and that’s where the patient should stay until they arrive 🙁

Jennywren-vic
    Jennywren-vic
    Participant

When I was caring for my sick elderly family members a nurse told me to put a chair in front of the person (provided they are not hurt).  This helps a great deal. In fact it helped me when I slid down on to the floor and could not get up.  I managed to get to the nearest chair and was able to get up.  Of course if someone is sick or unable to get up the ambulance is the best thing.

Rainee
    Rainee
    Participant

They say that any elderly person who  has had a fall , the ambulance should be called as they might have fractured a rib or something similar..there was a  lesson learnt on this, for us when we worked in the wards..  was that an elderly lady fell down .. didn`t really think she hurt herself .. so she tried to get up and asked others to help her up.. which they did .. after a while she felt ill and we needed to send for a doctor and on examining her   it was found that a fractured  rib had pierced into her lungs making her very ill so surgery and treatment was needed .. they told people to not try to lift an elderly person who has had a fall but just make them comfy and call an ambulance. they are trained to check for problems and know how to lift them on to the stretcher.. . its just not worth taking the risk its really a matter of life or death … my daughter who works in a nursing home said they always have to call an ambulance when someone falls for this reason.. they are not allowed to lift them off the floor..

Caddymag
    Caddymag
    Participant

You are right Rainee. But if I have a fall and I feel OK I would like to avoid calling an ambulance.

Rainee
    Rainee
    Participant

I guess its your own choice.. it  all depends on how you fall I reckon.. and like you say if you feel ok and can get up with a little help .. but not someone who might get a bad back from helping you up.. try to find someone who is able to help you.. 🙂

malmather
    malmather
    Participant

Before I had my bypass done I fell frequently,  I put it down to carelessness,  and I often had to crawl to a chair or a door handle to get up,  but since I’ve had my bypass I have only fallen once when I tripped over something and I got up quite easily

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15