Favourite Author for 2017

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  williamthebold 10 months, 1 week ago. This post has been viewed 762 times

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jackSprat
    jackSprat
    Participant

My favourite author for 2017 was the Canadian crime writer Louise Penny and her series with Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Sûreté du Québec.

Devoured all the dozen or so stories in the series.

williamthebold
    Participant

Hello. Just wondering. Do you have a favourite title you could mention?
    I thought I would try this authoress, and perhaps you could suggest where to start?
    Thank you.

jackSprat
    jackSprat
    Participant

“Still Life” is the first book in the series.

I started with that and went through the list. Some books in the series are better than others – usually the case.

Not particularly challenging literature but I found them interesting for the pictures drawn of a part of Canada outside Quebec.

With some authors I look elsewhere after the 4th book or so… but not so in this case; cleverly written with continuing back stories to hook you into reading the next, and the next…

jackSprat
    jackSprat
    Participant

The Inspector Gamache is a bit of a gourmet, so there’s lots of descriptions of meals, etc. I notice that quite a bit now in some detective stories – got to be a bit annoying in the Jack Irish novels by Australian author Peter Temple – but that is another series in the “crime” genre that I liked.

I also took the opportunity in 2017 to re-read the Philip Marlowe series by Raymond Chandler. Written a long time ago now. The descriptive power of Chandler enthralled me. And after a while I was no longer seeing Humphrey Bogart or Robert Mitchum in the role of Marlowe.

Tulip
    Tulip
    Participant

John Grisham

Tulip
    Tulip
    Participant

John Grisham is an American best selling Writer, Attorney ,Politician & Activist,6 of his books have been made into Movies.

williamthebold
    Participant

Thank you for your suggestions.
    I have made a note of them all.
    I will continue to scour the on line bookshops for titles.
    I have already found several to my liking.
    I well remember the philip marlowe stories.
    I think I have one or two of them lurking in my boxes of books.
    The books are in boxes because I simply ran out of shelf space.
    Thank you again for your help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15