First dinosaur named in NSW in nearly a century after chance discovery

Welcome to the Greypath National Seniors Website Forums Headlines First dinosaur named in NSW in nearly a century after chance discovery

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Salina 1 month, 1 week ago. This post has been viewed 111 times

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Salina
    Participant

I love stories like this.

A freak discovery, fate and a fascination with dinosaurs are behind a scientific breakthrough that has led to the identification of a new prehistoric species.
    Weewarrasauras pobeni is the first dinosaur to be named in New South Wales in almost a century, following a chance discovery of a jawbone fragment in a bucket of opal rubble near Lightning Ridge.
    It was a two-legged, plant-eating dinosaur about the size of a kelpie dog that roamed the ancient floodplains in the state’s north 100 million years ago.
    The name honours the Wee Warra opal field, where the fossil was found, and opal buyer Mike Poben, who saw something special in the specimen and donated it for research.

link

An illustration of a dinosaur

gblewis
    Participant

I always wonder how the experts can identify  bits of bone etc  Is DNA  still  in bone after all these years,? and  I  wonder how do they know they are looking at a creature of sorts when they just   see a small fragment in a bucket of dust or sand.  I always wonder about such things when ever I hear about these finds. Also how do we know they are correct?

abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

I thought the size of this one interesting as most of them were enormous by today’s standards and needed to be so to survive as long as they did. I guess the little ants were around then though!
    I’m happy to accept the knowledge of those who study such things – does it really matter if they might get it wrong??

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Great story. Thanks Salina.

Weewarrasauras Pobeni was a small, herbivorous dinosaur that walked the earth on two legs about 100 million years ago – back when the area of outback NSW near the opal mining mecca Lightning Ridge received good rainfall and was fringed by waterways. It was about the size of a kelpie, or as University of New England palaeontologist Phil Bell described it, “a good pet-size dinosaur”.

I would have loved to have been a palaeontologist.

Salina
    Participant

Another aspect of that particular find is that it was in the opal mining area, and apparently there could possibly be many fossils that have ”opalised”, so the dilemma can often be whether to retrieve a fossil or mine an opal.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15