For those of us who drive motor vehicles

Welcome to the Greypath National Seniors Website Forums Senate For those of us who drive motor vehicles

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Jen Jen 1 year, 11 months ago. This post has been viewed 710 times

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

jackSprat
    Keymaster

Another vehicle recall for certain motor vehicles:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-24/takata-airbags-is-your-car-on-the-list/8722914

Once upon a time the Japanese motor industry was lauded as a leader in production quality and still the likes of Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi turn out top notch vehicles, apparently. They are certainly nice to drive.

But I confess my confidence in quality systems has faltered. So much paperwork signed off and still faulty products, en masse, are delivered to market. I won’t go into the VW fiasco.

jackSprat
    Keymaster

My apologies; I mis-spoke: What the VW cheating fiasco hath wrought:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-28/diesel-cars-could-be-banned-from-german-cities/9491680

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Be interesting to see how the diesel car ban affects Germany’s huge motor industry.

Also ramifications elsewhere. In April 2018 car tax for older diesel cars will increase in the UK, in a bid to dissuade motorists using the vehicles and improve overall air quality in Britain. Drivers of diesel cars that do not meet a pre-determined emissions standard, will be required to pay a band higher car tax than they currently do.

Sales of diesel cars in the UK have continued to drop significantly, with the first figures of 2018 showing a 25% fall from last January.

Salina
    Participant

Jacksprat, thanks for posting the list of cars potentially affected.   I’ve been through the changeover through a recall a year or two ago.   It certainly tests ones’ faith.

jackSprat
    Keymaster

In previous times, when technology was simpler (but still marvellous to non-engineers) we barely gave a thought that products we purchased would be recalled. And warranties meant something.

At some serious cost in $$$ and health to many people, we have learned to assume that there some risks in using the mass produced products we buy. Would it be the case that most “smart” phone users are aware of potential risks in lithium-ion batteries?

And as consumers we are probably more aware of our rights because we have had to have recourse to them.

In the current airbag issue at least the Fed Govt has laid down the law pretty much to the advantage of car owners it seems.

Timetrvlr
    Timetrvlr
    Participant

We just traded our old 2002 Toyota Sienna LE for a newer version, a 2011 Toyota Sienna LE minivan. Huge advances and the quality appears to be great. We are thrilled with it, rides like a large luxury car. I think it might be the long wheelbase because I notice the ride in smaller Toyota’s seems choppy and rough by comparison. We wanted a minivan because we need to haul or mobility aids like walkers and small scooters and I need to pull a little utility trailer occasionally loaded with our large scooters when we go to community yard sales.

abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

I’m a great fan of mini vans too. I have a VW (petrol!) Caddy that is so easy to drive and load. I often see people struggling with loading ordinary cars and 4X4s when, if they only need 2 seats, the van option makes so much sense.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

GM Holden has added about 330,000 vehicles in Australia that will be affected by the Takata airbag recall today.

GM vehicles impacted:

• Holden Astra-H (2005 – 2009)
    • Opel Astra -J (2012 – 2013)
    • Holden Astra-J (2014 – 2017)
    • Holden Trax (2013 – 2018)
    • Holden Barina (2012 – 2018)
    • Holden Cruze (2010 – 2016)
    • Holden Cascada (2015 – 2017)
    • Opel Cascada (2014)
    • Opel Mokka (2014)
    • Opel Zafira (2013)
    • SAAB 9-3 (2006 – 2011)
    • SAAB 9-5 (2006 – 2011)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-02/takata-airbags-holden-names-models-affected-by-recall/9503086

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15