For those who like robotics

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Jen Jen 4 months, 2 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 289 times

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant
    jackSprat
    jackSprat
    Participant

Spooky. Imagine being chased around the factory by those suckers!

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Love technology but I find those dogs very creepy.

abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

I’d enjoy owning one to keep my OTT young Lab in order!

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

What worries me Abirdo … is the next step … scary.

Boston Dynamics is teaching its robot dog to fight back against humans.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/feb/21/boston-dynamics-teaching-robot-dog-fight-back-humans

What can you say. You may be kept ‘in order’ as well.

abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

Still a programmed guard dog is preferable to one trained to be savage as happens now!

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Maybe Abirdo … can’t see the difference myself … programmed/trained … still dangerous to me.

Timetrvlr
    Timetrvlr
    Participant

So what is the definition of robot? The way I see it, a robot is something built by man to obey our commands. That’s a pretty broad definition and it would have to include all our labour-saving devices like automatic washing machines and Roombas. I think the future is going to creep up on us without much fanfare. Those robot dogs are being designed to help soldiers in the field.

I like real dogs but I won’t have one because I pity those who do and have  to take them out in 10 F weather for a walk twice a day. Not for me! A robotic puppy would be nice, one that had soft plush fur for petting and could wiggle and wag their tail when petted.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

If robots are kept within bounds, great I say. However, I do have concerns with the rapid development of AI, particularly the self-developing pathways of AI as applied to robots. Who knows what road their decision-making may take. Revolt of the robots?

Probably no worse than humans though, SIGH. Hopefully they won’t let the ‘emotional modifier’ functions of anger, power, greed and religion influence their actions … but who knows.

Be nice if they followed SF writer Isaac Asimov’s 1942 “Three Laws of Robotics”:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
    2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
    3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Very clever laws IMO.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15