Grunt the porker no longer a walker after pet pig cops Wang street ban

Welcome to the Greypath National Seniors Website Forums Headlines Grunt the porker no longer a walker after pet pig cops Wang street ban

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Salina 1 month, 1 week ago. This post has been viewed 717 times

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Salina
    Participant

Funny headline, but a bit sad at the same time.   I’ve read of people buying baby pigs as pets, but have no idea how big and heavy they will grow.

Grunt the pet pig has been banned from walking the streets of Wangaratta – even on a lead – with his owner being threatened with an $806 fine if he steps out of line.
    Matthew Evans received a notice to comply from Wangaratta Council, stating that his regular practice of walking his pet pig on a lead on council-owned streets breached its ‘‘community amenity’’ law.

Under the law, people cannot unreasonably interfere with others’ enjoyment of council land or act in a way that endangers them.
    Mr Evans posted the notice on his ‘‘Grunt The Pig’’ Facebook page and immediately received a flood of support from Wangaratta residents who have regularly seen him out walking his pig down the street over the past couple of years.
    Many of the comments stated how well-behaved they found Grunt, but a council spokesman said there had been complaints about him taking food from children and being uncontained from his property.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/grunt-the-porker-no-longer-a-walker-after-pet-pig-cops-wang-street-ban/ar-AACD2KT?ocid=spartanntp

williamthebold
    Participant

I got to thinking about this whilst I shopped and filled the car with petrol.
    My thoughts ran along these lines.
    We need to remember that pigs (and other animals) run mostly on instinct.
    Whilst their surroundings are peaceful,  a pig might well appear amiable, placid, and easy going.
    No aggressive action need be triggered.
    But if a pig senses a threat of any kind, it’s survival instinct could ‘kick in’.
    A rapid and uncontrollable change of mood might well be the cause of it ‘lashing out.
    This could result in harm or damage to anything near it.
    This applies to dogs too.
    A dog might be well behaved with it’s owners, which it treats as it’s ‘family’.
    But anyone outside the family could be in for a rude shock if the dog thinks there is a threat.
    My initial reaction is that the council is wisely being cautious by not wanting a large? pig walking on the footpath.
    What if this idea ‘expanded’, and all and sundry walked a variety of animals hither and thither.
    The Vicar of Dibley might well approve, but you and I must live in the real world.
    I think the ‘do-gooders’ might be wise to step back and allow council processes to run their course.
    I should point out that humans too can easily be ‘upset’ by something, and lash out aggressively.
    We are animals after all.
    Hopefully though, our ability to reason, and thus direct our behaviour away from aggressive tendency, will always win the day.

Tulip
    Tulip
    Participant

What an interesting story Salina, thank you.

williamthebold
    Participant

I should have made it clear: I think the behaviour of animals is too unpredictable for them to roam freely amongst us.
    At circuses, large seemingly placid elephants have been known to ‘run amok’, and cause extreme damage.
    Even cats have been known to behave with almost amazing ferocity towards someone.
    This behaviour can be triggered relatively easily when an animal senses danger.
    It might not really be danger, but the perception is all that is needed.
    Or they might simply be having a ‘bad day’?
    There are frequent news items about vicious attacks by dogs on persons or other animals.
    We need to be real and logical about the potential of animals to behave violently towards us, and to maim and shock us.
    So please forgive me if I don’t give much credibility to those who think animals are harmless and cute.
    And by the way, I love the pig’s name. ^_^

jackSprat
    Keymaster

I am with you on this one William.

In the good (?) old days, most people in country towns grew up being aware of large animals and acquired knowledge about the vagaries of animal behaviour and the precautions needed when in close proximity.

These days most people do not grow up around large animals and are often blissfully unaware of how they can behave on their bad days.

Of course in the good old days, people were often too busy to take their livestock for walks. But that’s a different matter perhaps.

Occasionally these days I see large dogs on leashes taking their owners for walks and think – there’s a disaster waiting to happen. And those disasters do occasionally happen unfortunately.

williamthebold
    Participant

Salina
    Participant

Re dogs overpowering their owners…0r indeed any pet….. I believe that many people buy a puppy or whatever, without having done any kind of research.   I used to see a nice lady at the park where I walked my dog.   She had a young boxer.   Boxers are big, muscly, powerful dogs.   I was distressed to see her being dragged around by the dog.   Then, one day I saw her alone, and she told me she’d had to pass the dog into the Dogs’ Home because she couldn’t manage him.    I felt sad for the dog as well as her.  After my little doggie went to that place where bones are plentiful, I used to look at the Dogs’ home website, searching for another little pal.   I stopped looking after a while, because there were so many big dogs that had come to the same fate, and it made me want to cry.    And so many cats by the way.  With all the education there is nowadays it surprises me that rescue shelters still overflow with unwanted animals.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15