Home phone and NBN

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  williamthebold 3 months ago. This post has been viewed 375 times

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

In case it may help someone else:
    I use a PC in a spare bedroom and always had my home phone in the kitchen. When I was connected to NBN a couple of weeks ago they told me I could not have the kitchen phone as it needed to be plugged directly into the new modem. The wiring for my ADSL came from a splitter in the kitchen so I thought I would experiment and see if it could be used as a sort of extension thus plugging it from the bedroom wall socket into the modem. It works perfectly and so I have my kitchen phone once again!
    Incidently I only decided to get NBN as my ADSL was getting so slow. It has been very good as I have wireless from the node and the speed is at least 6 mbps at weekends and 7 during the week. (It was less than 1mbps on ADSL). My iinet plan also costs me a lot less.

Salina
    Participant

Thanks for that info, abirdo. I have ADSL. and will be going on to the NBN next year. You’ve answered a couple of questions for me, though I don’t understand about the splitter.
    I’m in the same situation re the phone in the kitchen and wondered what will happen.
    Thanks again.

williamthebold
    Participant

Easy really. Do what I do. I have cordless phones mostly.
    (one is a ‘fixed’ one just in case)
    But if it works for you, and it is convenient, leave well enough alone.
    I  have a mobile phone which looks like a desk phone too.
    The SIM card plugs in to a slot in the back of it.
    It doesn’t have all the functions of a smart phone, but it has all the ones I need.
    It is battery powered, so I can  carry it around if I want to.
    Very convenient to use.

rob
    Participant

A lot depends on if you have Fibre to the premises,  fibre to the node, fibre to the curb or fibre to the basement.

Also depends on which  RSP you choose.  Some use the Uni V connection,  some use the Uni D.

For me,  It is Fibre to the premises.  my RSP uses the Uni V connection for the phone.

I have been able to plug in a DECT phone on the Uni V, and then also use another phone,  which is plugged into a power point and connects wirelessly to that phone.

Neither one of them will work during a blackout,  then I have to use my mobile phone.  Of course,  I could have chosen to have a battery backup, which would have powered my phone for about a half hour.

That battery would cost about $30 -%40 every year,  so I chose to go without.

williamthebold
    Participant

Internet services vary in speed and reliability, but otherwise they are the same.
    The devices we use to connect to the internet can be different, but in the end they all work by transferring data (information) in digital form to and from the internet.
    Most telephone services these days work through the internet.
    They use the Voice Over Internet Protocol. (VOIP)
    A basic phone is an analogue device. The internet is digital.
    To connect these two different systems together requires an adapter.
    Amazingly, it is called an Analogue Telephone Adapter. (ATA)
    This ATA can be part of the phone itself, it can be built in to your modem/router, or it can be a separate unit.
    It will have your telephone service supplier details entered in to it, and also the details of your account with the supplier.
    Then it all works. Mostly.
    There are occasional drop-outs and sometimes more serious disruptions.
    It is wise to have a backup service of some sort.
    Either a second VOIP telephone service with a different supplier, or a mobile telephone, or both.
    These days, communication is vital. A telephone is no longer a luxury.
    (if all these fail, you could send up a smoke signal?)  *_*

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15