Honestly what is happening?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by malmather malmather 2 months, 2 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 142 times

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

I don’t know what is happening  in Melbourne, seems like every where you go these  days barricades across parts of roads,  same with streets, gutters and driveways are being torn up and re concreted, big trucks backing in or out of and parked in various streets, cranes hovering over roads as the building boom continues in Melbourne of course  that means more of our lovely old homes are being demolished.

Now the state government is starting to say Melbourne is becoming overcrowded (that’s why  we need more housing ) The traffic is becoming appalling its a relief to pull into ones drive, we had to go to the big shopping centre today and although its Friday when its  usually busy anyway, I don’t think I have ever seen so many  cars on the road, the police  were out in force  just directing traffic at one intersection.

I am usually saying think goodness we live in Melbourne down the bottom of the world and  away from all the troubles in the  top half of the world  but with our population (Melb) now at 5milllion, that’s probably why  the place is starting to seem overcrowded with people ,cars, and  dreadful high-rise apartments, everywhere and  ruining Melbourne .Actually I am glad I am not really young anymore with a young family, life in the future is going to get harder and harder  for everyone I think.

Tedwalker
    Tedwalker
    Participant

It’s similar in Brisbane bettyh.
    It’s hard to drive anywhere without running into road works.
    While the final result of the works is great, it’s a pest to put up with them while in progress.

Salina
    Participant

Couldn’t agree more.  Melbourne looks just like any other big city now …with no character.    Traffic is horrendous, and drivers have become more overbearing.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Same on the Gold Coast. Major roadworks on the M1 near my place which are spilling onto many adjoining roads. Traffic gridlock is a daily occurrence now and rampant new cluster development is adding to the chaos.

On a positive note, never a dull moment though. And to give a little comfort … check this out.

🙂 Beijing after a long weekend.

abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

Beijing in 1981, when I was there, had virtually no cars at all. Just some buses and thousands of bicycles. The country has made huge progress but at what cost???

malmather
    malmather
    Participant

even victor harbor,  when we moved there about 20 years ago there was hardly any cars,  and you can cross the road safely almost anywhere,  now there is so much traffic that even at the light controlled crossings it is dangerous,  it’s as though some don’t know the difference between red and green.   and sadly disabled parking bays become just another parking spot for those who think they are more important than anyone else

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15