Is it only in English?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by jackSprat jackSprat 7 months, 1 week ago. This post has been viewed 369 times

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

I’m not familiar enough with other languages and I expect they also have such peculiarities!
    We only ever have a ‘nice’ cup of tea. Poor old coffee is just ordinary I suppose.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Not sure about why we say “A ‘nice’ cup of tea” but found this today, which I found interesting.

Sydney’s first coffee arrived in 1788 along with the First Fleet. Coffee seeds and plants had been picked up during a stop in Rio de Janeiro and were planted at the site of First Government House, today’s Museum of Sydney. However, Sydney’s first foray into coffee failed when the seedlings did not yield a commercially viable crop. This of course didn’t stop Sydneysiders importing the beans and drinking coffee.

From the Sydney Gazette, 31 July 1803, p4.

NB: For ‘f’ in old English … read ‘s’.

malmather
    malmather
    Participant

A cup of tea is nice,  better for us than coffee,  far better than any alcohol,  even though aussies think that on a hot day only beer is suitable,  in fact a cup of hot tea is far better,  and with tea the cops don’t give you a ticket

bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

Water is the best cold drink , not only on a hot day. Beer is something I never drink, hated the taste the very first time I ever tasted it, and although I tried it several times later  it was still a yucky taste!!

abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

Strangely though I drink a lot of water it is always hot water even on a hot day. Just think its so refreshing. I may occasionally wave a tea bag over it but don’t really find it necessary.
    I agree about the taste of beer but in my (paid)working days it was always a dry cider for me at sundowners.

jackSprat
    jackSprat
    Participant

Beer is for when you knock off work; only water before then. So many craft beers these days. My taste buds have changed over the years. Not so keen on VB these days but a pale ale hits the spot.

We “enjoy” tea nut “need” coffee?

Tulip
    Tulip
    Participant

Tea made with Tealeaves ,2 cups first thing in the morning.

Timetrvlr
    Timetrvlr
    Participant

No doubt an Englishman would be appalled with my method of brewing tea. Every day I brew in a 2 litre electric pot and when it boils, add 5 tea bags. Eventually it cools and I fill a glass with ice, add the tea and two tablespoons of Splenda to make sweet iced tea. I drink at least one pot a day, removing the old tea bags when i make a fresh pot.

I drink a lot of fluids every day because of my medications and iced tea seems to fit the bill for me though I do drink diet cola in the evenings and sometimes a Kool-Aid type of drink. Years ago, I drank lots of coffee but I’m a bit off of of it now, though I usually drink a couple of coffees a week.

Love beer but can’t have it anymore.

jackSprat
    jackSprat
    Participant

The iced tea sounds “nice”… hehe.

I can drink tea with milk or without – but never sugar. Earl Grey always with a little milk though.

Coffee in the morning, tea in the afternoon. 375ml of beer twice a week, usually Saturday afternoon around 5pm after garden work.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15