Keep to the left!

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Jennywren-vic Jennywren-vic 3 years, 5 months ago. This post has been viewed 1777 times

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Caddymag
    Caddymag
    Participant

I went into the city today. Not for you perhaps, but for me a major thing.

I found that navigating the crowded footpaths was a hair raising experience. People stepped into my path without looking. People stepped back without looking.

I was always taught that, where possible, keeping to the left was the done thing. In fact, I remember that, on the streets of the city of Sydney, a white line was painted along the footpath. Like “J Walking”, failing to keep left was a traffic offence.

Admittedly there are lots of Americans in our city and Americans have a problem deciding which is left and what is right. After all they led the world to revolt against the Keep Left Rule. They have to be right all the time.

But when folk switch from one side of the footpath to the other in front of me I become concerned. A simple perambulate through the city becomes a campaign in strategy and tactics.

Why did the Americans change sides then? After all they do this often. If you were a coach driver or a bullock, you hold the reins in your left hand and wield the whip in your dominant right hand so not to injure the horses or bullocks.

Following the American Revolt, there were a lot of left handed bullockies around and to be different from everyone else America adopted the Left Handed Bullockies Law and banned right handed bullockies from practising their trade.

And ever since then, with America dominating the world, weak nations have had to change.  The recalcitrant left handers have won! Americans hold their reins in their right hand and try to use a whip in their left. Poor horses! Poor bullocks!

But then, as everyone knows, Americans have a genetic deformity with their shoulders and arms. Have you seen their “footballers”?

Meanwhile, back to my city, do you think the white line should be introduced?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Caddymag Caddymag.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Caddymag Caddymag.
    bobf
    bobf
    Participant

When you say footpaths, just what are you referring too?

In the US we have narrow lanes on the streets and roads that are intended for bicycles mostly. We also have paths going across country in towns and rural areas, again for bicycles but also for walkers too. In the cities we have what we call side walks for just about everyone to use. But it crowded the bicycle riders are supposed to dismount and walk the bike through pedestrian traffic.

So with this knowledge, what white line are you referring too? The only white lines I remember in the US are the border lines along the streets and roads that separate the motor traffic from the foot or bicycle lanes.

Gerda
    Gerda
    Participant

Yep, blame everything on the Yanks!
    A very cheap shot, Caddymag????

JJS
    JJS
    Participant

BobF: Sidewalks are our footpaths. 🙂

Anonymous

Yep blame the Americans, One thing we have all been taught, there is a Right and a Wrong way to do things. Woow hang on a minute we drive on the Left side but the Americans drive on the RIGHT side could we be wrong?
    I agree Gerda a very cheap shot

Caddymag
    Caddymag
    Participant

I should have saved that post for the first day in April!

.borgee1
    Participant

don’t be so hard on caddymag, that post of his is obviously a joke

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Meanwhile speaking of pedestrian ‘lanes’ in Sydney. Caddymag, I found this article mentioning the lines painted on footpaths (sidewalks) in the CBD.

A centre line has appeared and disappeared on footpaths over the decades, sometimes accompanied by a stencil that warned ‘Keep left’. The last time the centre line was applied in George Street seems to have been the 1980s. During periods when it has been absent, letter writers have waxed nostalgic over its regulatory powers. In 1974, for instance, a citizen from Belfield wrote to the Lord Mayor:
    ‘Please bring back the “YELLOW LINE” that adorned Sydney City footpaths a decade ago, so that at least the poor employees in the city area (like myself) get a bit of a “fair go” at all times.’

http://dictionaryofsydney.org/entry/the_decorated_footpath

Anonymous

Im not sure about this but didn’t the first painted line appear on the footpath to help control people during the Olympic in Australia?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15