Keep to the left!

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Jennywren-vic Jennywren-vic 3 years, 3 months ago. This post has been viewed 1717 times

Viewing 9 posts - 10 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Think it started long before that Stewie.

Since the 1870s, letter writers and newspaper columnists have fumed over window shoppers and social chatterers blocking the footpath, and have likened city crowds to flocks of sheep going in different directions or cattle caught in a barn. From time to time, the solution has been for traffic authorities to paint lines on the pavement to assist in herding pedestrians and corralling bus queuers.

Also from
    http://dictionaryofsydney.org/entry/the_decorated_footpath

Anonymous

That was quite interesting Jen thank you I didn’t realise out foot paths had such a interesting history

Caddymag
    Caddymag
    Participant

This Wells Fargo coach has the driver on the right hand side so that he can hold the reins in his left hand and uses the whip with his stronger right hand. The coach would have driven on the left side of the road. This was the common practice throughout pre-20th century history.

For some reason some American bullockies switched sides. This practice became more widespread with the mass produced manufacture of cars by Henry Ford.

Gradually most of the world followed except for Britain, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, New Guinea, India, Pakistan, Thailand, Indonesia, Nepal, Bhutan, Hong Kong, Macau, East Timor, Japan and most of Southern Africa.

Eastern Europe was “switched over” by the Nazi occupiers. Sweden was the last mainland country in Europe to change and this happened in 1967.

In my initial post I explained that the free for all on our footpaths is dangerous if you have more than 2 legs (?).

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Caddymag Caddymag.
    JJS
    JJS
    Participant

In Sydney west we had a painted line down the footpath for the last 30 years. One side for Bicycles the other for pedestrians.

Jennywren-vic
    Jennywren-vic
    Participant

Stewie I think perhaps the lines you mentioned for the Olympics were actually yellow lines on the roads telling visitors the way to the MCG.  They created a lot of interest about the type of paint used because those lines lasted for many years and everyone wanted to know where they could buy it.    Can’t actually remember them on the footpaths.  By the way I was lucky enough to be given tickets to a day at the Olympics in 1956 by my very generous boss.  Such a long time ago!

rob
    Participant

I remember when I used to work in Sydney,  in the 1950’s.  There were lines painted on the footpaths way back then – you were supposed to keep to the left back then.

Anonymous

Hi Jenny you could be right as the story of the lines was only hear say to me I never actually seen them my self

Caddymag
    Caddymag
    Participant

J walking was an offence earning a fine. I wonder if it still is?

As I understand it, it still is in NSW.

Jaywalking is to cross or walk in the street or road unlawfully or without regard for approaching traffic.

Jennywren-vic
    Jennywren-vic
    Participant

It certainly still is an offence in Melbourne caddymag.  Also you might be interested that the Sheriff now visits big shopping carparks and clamping the wheels of unregistered cars or those with with unpaid fines etc.  You would feel pretty foolish as they are big yellow clamps and big yellow signs on the car windows.  These days they just drive around with an electronic device in the car and can pick up offenders.  Am rather amused that at the big car park where we go there are a lot of the luxury type cars the ones being clamped!

Viewing 9 posts - 10 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15