Keeping an Avocado fresh

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Jen Jen 1 year, 9 months ago. This post has been viewed 852 times

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I have found by covering an Avocado that has been cut & stop it from being discoloured, if I wish to use ? the following day, is to cover with chopped onion.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Thanks Tulip …. am definitely going to try your tip. 🙂

didi - VIC
    didi – VIC
    Participant

hi Tulip, your hint works – I leave the stone in and wrap the bowl with plastic cover and yes, it’s fine to use the next day or so.
    HINT – my avocados don’t last more than 1 and a bit days – some on savoury biscuits for lunch one day and on toast the next or with salad 🙂

bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

If you  happen to buy a avocado that is like a rock [A buying mistake] how can you soften it? the micro oven was not successful in doing this I found. On the window sill, by the time it  felt soft I had to throw it out.

didi - VIC
    didi – VIC
    Participant

bettyh Vic the trick I’ve used for many years in knowing if an avocado is ripe or not, is to slightly tug at its stem, if it begins to come away then the fruit is ripe.
    I know sometimes it isn’t always possible to get them ripe in the supermarket but I imagine leaving them in a fruit bowl away from other fruits at room temperature they should ripen.
    YUMMO I love them 🙂

Pamela
    Participant

I find NOT cutting it in half is the way to make it last.

I purchased a small lemon shaped container (is in two halves) for $2 from KMart. Supposedly you store left over lemon.

However, I find it is ideal for avocadoes. I do NOT cut it lengthwise.

I pop it in the yellow container and just cut off the top as you would if you were going to eat a boiled egg. I then use the part I have just used on my toast with vegemite (I like that way) and with the piece left over in the container I squeenze lemon juice it and pop the yellow top on and back in frig.

Next day I scoop out as much as I want out of the avocado and squeeze more lemon over the remainder of the avocado. Doing it this way you have less area exposed to the air which makes it go brown. Of courze leave the seed IN.

I find it will last days done this way until you use it up…of course that depends on how often you eat it.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Read this tip last week.

• Place the ‘seed’ half on cling wrap … spray with any cooking oil spray, wrap, put in fridge.

🙂 Did this four days ago and the avo half still looks fine.

The oil keeps the air out to delay oxidation (browning).

File pic but my avo half looks good too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15