Legal marijuana

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by bettyh Vic bettyh Vic 1 week, 6 days ago. This post has been viewed 130 times

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Salina
    Participant

Marijuana is legal in 29 States in the USA.   It occurs to me that since legalisation, we don’t seem to hear of crime committed under it’s influence.   I suppose we don’t hear of the  ‘”lesser”” crimes, or what the effects are in general.   I would like to see some research on it’s effect in general, since legalisation.

This is the breakdown:

“”Nine states and Washington, DC, have legalised marijuana for recreational use – no doctor’s letter required – for adults over the age of 21. Medical marijuana is legal in another 29 states.

Support for the drug reached new highs in 2017. A Gallup poll showed that 64% of Americans favour legalization, and even a majority of Republicans back it.

Read more at https://www.businessinsider.com/where-can-you-can-legally-smoke-weed-2018-1#qV3FfJ05i7UcUMPZ.99

abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

Whilst alcohol is legal, which has just as many ill effects as marijuana, I cannot see why so many police resources have to be used to track this drug down. Much better to concentrate on testing for impairment whilst driving for instance.
    I also believe that if all the drugs were legalised (perhaps available on prescription) there would be no more usage than there currently is. There would actually be a great reduction in crime as a huge % of crime at the moment is committed by those needing large amounts of cash to feed their habits. The government money saved by this would much more profitably be used in drug education (including alcohol!) and rehab efforts. It would also put the big drug cartels out of business.

williamthebold
    Participant

Abirdo, I follow your train of thought, and I like it!

Salina
    Participant

I feel a little conflicted on this topic, which I meant to add in the original post.

Firstly though, drug testing drivers in Melbourne and Sydney has been in force for some time…a good thing.

If marijuana is legalised, the question of whether other drugs should be legalised arises, and that’s where I feel conflicted to a degree.  Ice, heroin, and other hard drugs are deadly.   Would it make a difference to addicts if they were made legal?  I don’t see it.

williamthebold
    Participant

Salina, I agree.
    Society should never condone the free and easy use of drugs which cause severe harm to health.
    But it should make proper allowance for the use of mild drugs?
    The use of these is already established in the community, and it is likely to continue that way.
    (we have tobacco and alcohol as examples)
    I am sure there are many who would not like to forego their glass of wine with a meal, or alcohol consumption in a social setting.
    No more happy hours?
    Keep in mind ‘prohibition’ in the USA and how that played out.
    The money used trying to outlaw and police the use of ‘mild’ drugs is money poorly spent?
    It is almost certainly disproportionate to any benefit derived.
    Put simply, the game is not worth the candle!
    As Abirdo says, that money could be, and should be, better used.
    Personally, I cannot see any valid reason for filling your body with poisonous substances.
    You only get the one body, so ‘look after it well’ seems to be the best way to go.
    But people willingly absorb these poisons, so we must deal with that reality.
    To do so, it seems logical that we need to devise better reasons for people NOT to take drugs in the first place.
    This would be far better than threatening them with legal penalties.
    Lead people to a better understanding. Convince them with reason. Don’t drive them to drink?
    This approach seems to have worked with smokers?
    For those heavily addicted to ‘hard’ drugs, we need to research better ‘anti-drugs’?
    There is a challenge, and society needs to meet it head-on?
    I think they will win. They usually do.

bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

From what we hear re our media ICE seems to be the main drug in use out here. There has been some enormous drug busts lately here in Australia, doesn’t seem to stop people managing to acquire some, so even if all these known drugs were banned there would still be stupid people managing to  bring them in,to use and sell.

As to why people want to use these drugs escapes me, even when they know they are addictive, and harmful to health in the long run. I also can’t understand these injecting rooms,to me it seems like ‘hey free drugs’

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15