Let's feel free to speak our mind.

Welcome to the Greypath National Seniors Website Forums Senate Let's feel free to speak our mind.

This topic contains 21 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  williamthebold 4 days, 6 hours ago. This post has been viewed 308 times

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Salina
    Participant

Boris Johnson speaks his mind, and the perpetually outraged pop up from their holes, and scream : OFFENSIVE!.   WHAT AN EVIL MAN!,  and so on.   The perpetually outraged are in great part, responsible for us becoming a society of wimps, afraid to speak our minds.

“Boris Johnson has sparked outrage after saying women who wear burqas look like “letter boxes” and bank robbers.
    Britain Prime Minister Theresa May has joined calls for her former Foreign Secretary to apologise for the remarks, made in a newspaper column earlier this week.
    Mr Johnson, who left Mrs May’s government last month in a dispute over Brexit, disparaged burka wearers in a column that, ironically, defended their right to wear the full face veil.
    He said he opposed banning burqas and other face covering garments but felt it was “absolutely ridiculous that people should choose to go around looking like letter boxes.”
    Mr Johnson’s remarks came after Denmark last week followed France, Germany, Austria and Belgium in banning face-coverings in public places.
    In a column for Britain’s Telegraph newspaper Mr Johnson said he felt “fully entitled” to expect women to remove face coverings when talking to him at his MP’s surgery, and said schools and universities should be able to take the same approach if a student ”turns up … looking like a bank robber.” “

““It is ridiculous that these views are being attacked — we must not fall into the trap of shutting down the debate on difficult issues,” a source close to Mr Johnson told reporters.
    “We have to call it out. If we fail to speak up for liberal values then we are simply yielding ground to reactionaries and extremists,” the source said.””

Link

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/boris-johnson-burqa-wearers-look-like-bank-robbers-letter-boxes/news-story/46dd3f6ff60dd9b63943c7f3c7dd2b6e

Salina
    Participant

Personally, I believe Boris Johnson would make a great Prime Minister.   I wish we had someone here like him.   But as I implied  in my previous post, political correctness and fear of upsetting the outrage industry, has produced the wimpiest lot of politicians in my memory.

Salina
    Participant

I saw this wonderful quote in the comments and felt impelled to share.   Before I decided to post it here I googled Karl Popper and his most interesting background…..which then further encouraged me to share the quote.

“Karl Popper defined the paradox of tolerance in 1945 in The Open Society and Its Enemies
    “Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them.?—” “”

Thanks to  ‘Greg’, commenter in the Australian.

williamthebold
    Participant

I don’t think boris would make a good prime minister.
    Smart he might be, charismatic he might be, but his feet are not firmly enough on the ground for my liking.
    There is something lacking in his manner.
    But I agree with your other sentiments Salina.
    We must speak our mind, say it as it is, but fall short of being insulting.

I think clothing should follow the ‘normally accepted’ fashions of a society, and be relevant to the wearer’s activity.
    To be similar in appearance stems from our instinct for survival.
    Safety in numbers, and safety in looking and behaving the same.
    Avoid attracting the attention of possible aggressors by unusual behaviour?
    Blend in to the background.

Overalls and boots will be proper in a working place, but not when attending a funeral, or sleeping in your bed.
    Head coverings should be appropriate to the occasion: to keep out dust or heat or rain etc.
    Rarely are there public occasions when ‘mr average’ needs to have his face covered, so this should almost never occur.
    Not only do we all need to follow similar styles of dress, we need to be able to recognise each other.
    Being able to recognise each other is important!
    Should we be hiding from each other?

People who leave danger in one country to live in another should not expect to change the ‘new’ country which has provided them with a haven of safety.
    They need to make the effort to learn the new language, adopt the dress styles and so on. Blend in to the population.
    Bring new ideas with them yes: their new ideas might be welcome, but never should they try to force change in their new home.
    I think it is a major insult if they attempt to do so.
    They need to be accepting, not rejecting.

The country/society they came from failed them.
    They arrive in a country where peaceful and productive ways of living are well established.
    To bring the ways of their old society with them is counter-productive, and just plain wrong.
    Their previous ways need to be left in the past, and their new society embraced and accepted.
    Contribute to the safety they have found, not abuse it.

My feeling is that most immigrants do as we would expect them to do.
    A minority don’t want to, and are the cause of any friction and disagreement.
    We should ask ourselves ‘what is driving them to insist on being different’?
    What is so important that it over-rides logic for them?
    But above all, is what they are doing lawful?

Beatrice
    Beatrice
    Participant

Salina you can take Boris Johnson any time you like, myself and a lot of others in the U.K. would be glad to see the back of him.

It is not the first time he has made insulting comments to other races and countries of other races and when caught out pleaded he is not a racist.

It was never understood why with all his gaffes he was made foreign secretary.

You may or may not be interested in that Teresa May is now calling for him to apologise over the comments he made, now I don’t agree with a lot that Teresa May says or does but in this instance I do agree with her.

Johnson should be thrown out of the Conservative party and Parliament, he is in my opinion an embarrassment to my country.

abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

Bet you would not swap him for Trump Beatrice!

Beatrice
    Beatrice
    Participant

No I wouldn’t Abirdo, they could b****r off together.

williamthebold
    Participant

Beatrice, I fear you are being just a little hard on dear boris.
    His acuity is lacking I feel, so he would not be a good candidate for leader.
    But he means well I think, even though he puts his foot in his mouth quite often.
    Underneath all his nonsensical utterances, there is a grain of something good.
    I deem I am entitled to comment, because my mother and grandmother and earlier generations were from the south of england, and I think I have one or two of my toes still buried in british soil.
    Please accept my comments as friendly alternative views.
    I mean no disrespect.

williamthebold
    Participant

I have noticed a lot of ‘guests’ in the wings today.
    I hope they are enjoying our wordy exchanges.
    I am sure they will learn a lot that is useful.
    If you want to have a truthful and logical view of something, ask an older person.
    But they know that already I think.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15