Loss of Vision by Dr Fran.

Welcome to the Greypath National Seniors Website Forums Health Loss of Vision by Dr Fran.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 2 months ago. This post has been viewed 799 times

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ray Lewis
    Ray Lewis
    Keymaster

Loss of Vision, from Dr Fran One of the most worrying aspects of ageing is the loss of vision. It is no fun to find that you need glasses. On the serious side is the fact that blindness increases with age. One of the leading causes is cataract formation. Age is not considered a barrier to the wonderful modern ways of correcting the situation.. Most people can have the surgery done under a local anaesthetic. General anaesthesia may be required if the person has other conditions particularly, those that preclude lying still for 20 minutes. Studies on Nursing home patients have shown that the surgery benefits not only sight but also improves the psychological state of the person and makes it easier for social interaction.

didi - VIC
    didi – VIC
    Participant

this subject is close to my heart – in my late Dad’s mother’s family of 6 children one female lost an eye due to ?, another female was blind for as long as I knew her and 2 other females had poor vision requiring wearing spectacles.
    More currently, my Dad lost some sight in one eye overnight and gradually lost more as he aged and his other eye had sight only to distinguish shapes if he saw them in the right amount of light.
    I have been diagnosed with early onset glaucoma so have 6 monthly checkups and adminster eye drops to both eyes every night.
    This health issue is one not to be ignored

Jennywren-vic
    Jennywren-vic
    Participant

didi you might be interested in the fact that I have had 2 cataracts removed, not because  of sight problems, but to stop glaucoma in its tracks.  It appears to have done the trick as I am not on drops now and all is well.  They have asked me to return every 12 months for the rest of my life so that they can see what the end results are.

didi - VIC
    didi – VIC
    Participant

thank you Jennywren for your comment – I am so pleased you have had successful cataract surgery due to glaucoma and trust this continues for you.

Caddymag
    Caddymag
    Participant

I had problems after cataract surgery.

The operation was very successful…. but,

In my days as an artist, particularly a landscape artist, I found it difficult to adapt to the changes in colour. I had to relearn colour mixing.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Caddymag Caddymag.

Anonymous

Forum members may be able to assist……

Cataract Surgery…. Cost for  eye surgery please. Public wait approximately 2 years,

Eyes have really deteriorated recently.

Thanks Windy.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Haven’t had it done but found this from the Brisbane Eye Clinic. Two eyes around $4,000.00.

Skillful microsurgical techniques using ultrasound can surgically remove the lens and replace it with an optically advanced polymer which improves the focus. Costs for cataract surgery are mostly covered by private health insurance and we offer pension concession day surgery at private day stay facilities at Redcliffe or Milton for $2000  + medicare rebates per operation.  This covers the facility, staff, surgeon, anaesthetist, basic monofocal intraocular lens and implantation gel.

http://www.brisbaneeyeclinic.com.au/treatments/cataracts

You might find more using a Google search. More at http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1850559.

Anonymous

I had cataract surgery on both eyes, then eight months later I had a retna detachment in the left eye resulting in loss of sight in that eye. I’m wondering if any evidence exist showing retna detachment more common in people who have cataract surgery?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15