Movie phrases

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  williamthebold 4 days, 23 hours ago. This post has been viewed 108 times

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

rayl
    Keymaster

The other day I said to someone “Seize the Day!” I recalled it came from a movie where Robin Williams said to his classroom, “Carpe Diem!” ( Latin  for the same thing).  I then recalled the great phrase from the Lion King movie, “Hakuna Mutata!” This is Swahili or something for “Dont worry, Be happy!”.

I wonder if anyone recalls any similar great sayings from movies?

Salina
    Participant

Gone With the wind:

Scarlett O’Hara:  “After all, tomorrow is another day.”

Rhett Butler:      “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn!!!”

What a fantastic film that was.   I’ve seen it a number of times, and could sit through it again.

williamthebold
    Participant

I am sure many movies have memorable lines of dialogue.
    But the one which sprang instantly to my mind was delivered by Jack Nicholson in the movie, ‘A Few Good Men’.
    During one courtroom scene, his character becomes incensed, and declares vehemently, ‘YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH’.
    From the first time I heard it, I have thought it a profoundly significant observation.
    It could be seen merely as part of the movie, but the statement has wider and more serious connotations.

I think it is true that many persons, if not most, live in a story world, a fictional world, where truth is not clear and ever present.
    That way, they can pretend the world around them is as they would like it to be, not as it really is.
    They can ignore that some things exist.
    It has been said that ‘where ignorance is bliss, ’tis folly to be wise’?
    Which could well be appropriate for many people?

As man’s intellect developed over hundreds of thousands of years, he went from having an animal’s limited (but adequate) view of it’s surroundings, to having the greater awareness and insight modern man knows and accepts as the norm.
    It was a transition which required adjustment to many new concepts.
    These came with his blossoming ability to reason and understand.
    I think the ‘finer’ instincts which came with living in harmonious family groups clashed with any ‘savage’ action taken by the group for survival.
    There was an increasing contrast between these two extremes.
    I think that, even now, some adults find it difficult to visualise and accept the harsher parts of our existence.
    It needs a certain maturity to adjust to some of life’s realities.
    We don’t tell young children all the gory details of the slaughter of animals for food.
    When a child’s pet dies, we ‘dress the event up a bit’, to lessen any unfavourable impact on them.
    In a general social conversation, we don’t usually discuss, in graphic detail, the grim reality of death and injury resulting from war.
    Most adults I know are not comfortable with a death, or the experience of a funeral.

It is quite understandable that man in the past used ‘stories’, both as a way to explain the world around him, and to put a gloss on the harsh reality of survival.
    These stories persist, because people want the sense of comfort which stories can bring.
    They prefer to live in a more convivial world, even though it be (partly) fictional.
    Doing so is understandable: pleasant stories are balm to many ‘sensitivities’.
    Movie dialogue sometimes reminds us of these things.
    It is good to have ‘pause for thought’.

williamthebold
    Participant

In case any are wondering why I sometimes use many words in my descriptions, I offer the following vindication.
    I picture a lazy summer’s afternoon, and Miss Jones valiantly trying to instil the rudiments of english in to an inattentive class.
    She might have explained a principle this way:
    A person says: ‘I like those new biscuits made by the XYZ company. I highly approve of them.’
    Which is ok as a simple statement of fact.
    But the statement is bland.
    It lacks any detail allowing an insight in to the reason for the ‘approval’.
    Many who hear or read the words would like to know more?
    The ‘reasons why’ would interest them?
    The reasons might encourage them to go out and buy some of the biscuits?
    Then they could compare the reasons given with their own experience?
    Expanding a statement can benefit everybody.
    No longer bland, it becomes something ‘alive’ and (possibly) brimming with interesting detail.
    Which would be a better way to describe an approval?
    We would agree of course, and many years might pass before we saw the wisdom of her teaching.

Salina
    Participant

Clint Eastwood:

“Go ahead, make my day!”

I’ve no idea of the movie, but the phrase is a beauty.

williamthebold
    Participant

Salina, why is ‘it’ a ‘beauty’?
    What is it about the words or their associations which makes them stand out for you?
    If you had not seen the movie (Dirty Harry?) would the words have the same impact?
    One of my long ago teachers is talking through me now. ^_^
    She was a slave-driver sometimes, but she got the message across.
    I remember her with great fondness.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

“Brevity is the soul of wit.”
    ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet

“I have only made this letter longer because I have not had the time to make it shorter.”
    — Blaise Pascal.

“It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche.

Fleshing out the details can be wonderful, but in many cases on the internet, particularly when it is the product of some particular individual’s homespun philosophy it can be boring in the extreme to me.

I accept we all have thoughts and may philosophically ramble in our minds but sharing our ‘wandering ponderings’ can be excruciating to others at times IMO. Stand to be corrected if others feel differently.

Salina
    Participant

WTB

The phrase exudes confidence, William.   I like that.

williamthebold
    Participant

I have been told that in journalism, you write something, then cut out every second word, then cut the result in half.
    That gets it down to a realistic size.
    It is all about rapid and succinct communication.
    Saying a lot in few words.
    Such as Winston’s dictum: ‘the front line runs through the factories’.
    But this doesn’t apply to everything.
    Books could be summed up and occupy no more than a few pages.
    But the detail in the original script gives a story its ‘depth’ and ‘feeling’.
    Condensed books are usually half the size of the originals, but the lack of detail is obvious.
    They are mostly not as satisfying to read.

And just a small point.
    Philosophy is based on truth and the realistic conclusions one could draw from facts.
    It is not something which can be generated artificially.

And Salina, you gave me food for thought, and brought a smile to my face.
    Thank you kind lady.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15