NBN disaster

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Jennywren-vic Jennywren-vic 1 week, 2 days ago. This post has been viewed 123 times

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Salina
    Participant

The NBN is set to be a disaster for many users.
    There is an article in today’s Australian well worth reading. A subscription is needed.
    It would be great if Ray can organize an expert to look at the NBN rollout and give us some idea on how best to utilize it.
    From the Aust piece:

Millions of Australians will see their internet speeds fall when they are moved on to the National Broadband Network, despite still being charged the same for access.
    The cost structure of the superfast internet project — required in order to pay back the federal government $49 billion in construction costs — has meant ­telcos are being charged very high prices for downloads.
    • NBN: will it ever get faster?
    These high bandwidth charges — tiny under the nation’s existing Telstra and Optus broadband networks — has meant telcos are buying the minimum, resulting in NBN speeds plummeting during peak times, such as after 5pm on weekdays.
    NBN Co has admitted its bandwidth pricing is a key factor ­behind speed issues, problems not seen in New Zealand where its broadband network does not levy such fees.
    Millions of Australians will see their internet speeds fall when they are moved on to the National Broadband Network, despite still being charged the same for access.
    The cost structure of the superfast internet project — required in order to pay back the federal government $49 billion in construction costs — has meant ­telcos are being charged very high prices for downloads.
    • NBN: will it ever get faster?
    These high bandwidth charges — tiny under the nation’s existing Telstra and Optus broadband networks — has meant telcos are buying the minimum, resulting in NBN speeds plummeting during peak times, such as after 5pm on weekdays.
    NBN Co has admitted its bandwidth pricing is a key factor ­behind speed issues, problems not seen in New Zealand where its broadband network does not levy such fees.”
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/nbn-costs-put-brake-on-internet-speeds/news-story/3f7e7de5cc214fa8646f05d03316c1b5

• This topic was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Salina.
    Rachel
    Rachel
    Participant

We are the last on the list for NBN. Due in 2020 to a suburb
    about 50 kms from Perth city.
    By then the old copper cable that they are using will
    be broken down as it is apparently already showing
    signs of old age around Australia.
    Most people learn very quickly that it doesn’t pay to do
    a job on the cheap at the expense of quality.
    Perhaps the Government was trying to save money for their
    raise in wages or other perks they get, it certainly wasn’t
    for the general public.
    As for Telstra, I wish there were another company with enough cash to lay new cables and give Telstra some real competiton.
    Before I get told to change phone/internet companies We here in WA
    have no choice if we go rural or travel Australia but Telstra.
    Believe me if there was another company that would cover us I would be aigning up asap.
    I and many others have lost faith in Telstra. They continually boast about how good they are but need to take more notice of their customer complaints about the poor service.

rob
    Participant

I’ve been on the NBN for several years now.  First via satellite,  which was horrifically  expensive.

Then my town was “fibred up” – every home and business had fibre to the premises.  FTTP.

For me,  the cost came down,  the speed went up and I’ve been very happy.

Unfortunately,  along came a new government,  who wanted to cut costs,  so along came fibre to the node, fixed wireless and other cost cutting NBN services.

A great many people have had to switch to those alternatives,  and have suffered as a result.  Poorer quality service,  poorer quality internet, congestion and higher costs.

Salina
    Participant

Since my post this morning, I’ve spoken to Telstra. They told me I would stay on the current plan with them and nothing would change as far as cost. He also said that the problems arising re speed etc are more than likely bugs that will be ironed out as the rollout continues and is fully installed.

Dusty WA
    Dusty WA
    Participant

I live in Noranda ,W.A.at present being discussed as one of the worst in Perth andI have had dropouts since before Christmas I am with Optus and they told me  it was my modem and sold me a new one for $80,then I needed a new unit to connect the modem to the phone    thing ,another $30,and now I find out  the fault was not mine and they knew it all the time  was the and everyone in the district is having the same problems ,a pox upon all the telco’s who are involved in the ripoff, I don’tknow how they have the cheek to take our money

Jennywren-vic
    Jennywren-vic
    Participant

I live within 10ks of the cbd in Melbourne and my date of connection is 2019!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15