Neil deGrasse Tyson’s tweet

Welcome to the Greypath National Seniors Website Forums Headlines Neil deGrasse Tyson’s tweet

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  williamthebold 2 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 52 times

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

williamthebold
    Participant

LINK: https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/celebrity-astrophysicist-neil-degrasse-tysons-tweet-over-us-shootings-slammed/news-story/114cf99d6043a95766623b4ab250c745

I quote a few lines from an article in news.com.au where comments allegedly made by Neil deGrasse Tyson are discussed.
    (Tyson was slammed for belittling the deaths in the name of providing data)
    He allegedly said:
    ‘In the past 48hrs, the USA horrifically lost 34 people to mass shootings,’ deGrasse Tyson wrote, claiming, ‘on average, across any 48hrs, we also lose … 500 to Medical errors 300 to the Flu 250 to Suicide 200 to Car Accidents 40 to Homicide via Handgun.
    ‘Often our emotions respond more to spectacle than to data,’ he added.

I make the following comments about that article:
    In doing so, I am mindful there seems to be a repetitious theme in society of late.
    The making of harsh or uncaring comments or statements, in the manner of Little Jack Horner pulling out his plum!
    Everybody wants to be a ‘good little boy’ it seems?

Neil deGrasse Tyson allegedly expressed ideas about the recent shooting deaths in the US of A.
    He was roundly derided for his comments.
    As I see it, Neil simply pointed out that there are even more deaths from other causes.
    He is right to hope we keep things in perspective?
    He is not advocating a cavalier or uncaring approach to unnecessary death.
    Just that we shouldn’t focus on one cause to the exclusion of others?
    His ‘detractors’, in this case, show a decided lack of understanding by what they say?
    I suppose that, in expressing strong emotion, they do lessen any sense of dread they experience?
    Unfortunately, speaking in the way they do, they unintentionally make themselves appear to be shallow and uncaring?
    I am sure this is not their real purpose.

Detractors should realise that others speak because they are moved to do so by unfortunate events.
    That others care enough about their society to say something about such events.
    That these others are attempting to add ‘calm’ to a bad situation.
    These others hope that by expressing ideas, they can lessen the impact on people of violent events taking place around them?
    For example, they hope that getting things in to perspective might help people to understand and accept more readily?
    They know this can be of advantage, particularly to any who suffer hurt and anguish.
    They share thoughts with these ideas in mind?
    It must be said that they might not always get their thoughts in the right order, or express them as aptly as they might, but their efforts show they CARE!
    That is what is important.
    Go Neil!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15