Opt in – or opt out

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  williamthebold 2 months, 4 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 180 times

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 11 total)
  • Author

rob
    Participant

Just wondering what most members think about the Government My Health record?

Will you allow all of your medical records to be placed on a central register,  or will you op out?

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

I’ve had mine on there for a few years now but I think I need to go back in and have a clean out of stuff I uploaded myself.

Doesn’t engender confidence when the Singapore health database has just been hacked.

A major cyber attack on Singapore’s government health database stole the personal information of about 1.5 million people, including Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, the government said on Friday.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/consumer-affairs/attack-on-singapore-health-database-steals-details-of-1-5m-including-pm-20180720-p4zsre.html

williamthebold
    Participant

I would opt out.
    If I had a health problem, and needed a second or even third opinion, I would not want my health record ‘following’ me around.
    I would want a doctor to start with a clean slate, and address the issues with an open mind.
    I assume it is doctors who would avail themselves of a health record?
    I cannot see malcolm being the slightest bit concerned about ‘water on the knee’ or an ‘absence of memory’, in any voter?   *_*

williamthebold
    Participant

I checked the website.
    I read all the information it had there.
    I decided that for me personally, a ‘myhealth’ record would not be of benefit.
    I strongly recommend that all of us read all that is written very carefully, and make a decision based on our own needs.
    We shouldn’t just ‘follow the flock’.
    Make up your own mind.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Just been in and had the promised “clean out” of personal records I uploaded. It’s not much to get excited over IMO.

You can adjust your personal medications list, allergies and emergency contacts and control who has access to other stuff.

You can also see who has uploaded your info, e.g. your GP’s medical records for you (mine hasn’t uploaded any), scans and other info … very few have in my case despite numerous visits, scans and hospitalisations over the last 5 years … so a bit pointless in that regard. The dispensed prescriptions are also accessible.

Probably more interesting on MyGov to go to Medicare and see who has charged for what.

Regarding security … most of the details in the MyHealth record are from other data bases, e.g. Medicare. Bearing in mind MyGov also has also got your Centrelink, Child Support and ATO records as well … so … if MyGov gets hacked, the cyber-attackers get all your important details anyway.

rob
    Participant

I have opted out,  as has my grand-daughter,  who is a medical student.

My son,  his wife, and my grandson have opted in, because they do a lot of road trips.

Like William the bold, if I want a second opinion,  I don’t want it clouded by the original diagnosis.  I want a fresh, unclouded opinion.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

“Like William the bold, if I want a second opinion,  I don’t want it clouded by the original diagnosis. I want a fresh, unclouded opinion.”

I can understand that, but if you have ongoing conditions as I do … it is handy to have a record of all tests, scans and diagnoses so:
    a) You are not being subjected to more radiation scans than necessary due to previous relatively recent tests requested by another doctor/hospital.
    b) There are test results available to chart the progress of your condition to gauge any improvement or deterioration.

I actually keep my own record with all personal details, allergies, medications, hospitalisations, tests + results verbatim from reports. Must admit all doctors, hospital staff I give it to love it because they can just read and not listen to me trying to explain copious meds, medical history… often inaccurately in layman-like terms.

Last emergency admission, they nicknamed me “Lady with the best list” LOL.

Salina
    Participant

After reading the comments here, plus the information on the relevant website, I find it unnecessarily confusing.

Since we have the option of either opting in or out before October, but can change our mind later, I will opt out for now, until I can assure myself I understand completely.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Good idea Salina. As I said earlier not much to get excited about … many health providers don’t contribute to MyHealth so you are probably best to keep your own health records if you so desire, or feel they are needed/essential to your future medical care.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15