oven cleaning

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by didi - VIC didi – VIC 1 year, 3 months ago. This post has been viewed 988 times

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    didi - VIC
    didi – VIC
    Participant

I remember reading a hint re cleaning oven racks – place in tub of hot water with some Nappysan or such like and leave to soak for as long as possible. I used steel wool soap pads – depending on how much elbow grease is required, keep the box at hand!!
    I did mine yesterday and am so pleased I remembered how to make them look like new again!

didi - VIC
    didi – VIC
    Participant

last night dinner was cooked in my oven – the casserole dish sat nicely on the newly cleaned racks; unfortunately due to my right shoulder injury, the actual oven hasn’t had its ‘autumn clean’ – a chore that i will get to some weeks away yet 🙁

jay
    Participant

great tip didi

thanks

didi - VIC
    didi – VIC
    Participant

pleasure jay – I still can’t do mine as my right arm is misbehaving badly – hopefully before 2018 I will be free of the pain and discomfort so I can get the oven itself cleaned – the racks are still looking good 🙂

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

LOL. I’ve given up and just clean the oven door. Lucky the glass is tinted and I can’t see what else is inside unless the light is on.

I comfort myself with the thought that the added encrustations inside enhance the flavour of whatever goes in next.

In the past have saved oven cleaning until:

a) The house was up for sale, or b) The oven died and was replaced.

Works well for me.

If it has to be done, I think I’ll call in the pros. Not a job I ever want to tackle again after my efforts in the late 1980s.

abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

I actually stopped using the big oven years ago. I find the microwave and small plug in oven plenty for just me. When I did use the oven it did not seem to get messy (except the door) and I wonder if that was because it was gas not electric.

Salina
    Participant

Having just moved and had a new oven installed, I don’t want to use it in case it gets spatters and grime.  LOL

In my previous house, was a gas oven also, and I gave up trying to clean, as, like others joints are creaky, and it’s too difficult.

Good idea to get the professionals in.

The oven top surround is stainless steel, and I’m finding it very difficult to keep clean, even though I’m using stainless steel cleaner.

didi - VIC
    didi – VIC
    Participant

Salina, I’ve read your post but I quickly reacted to you using a stainless steel cleaner – I’m assuming you mean a s/s liquid cleaner?
    I worked for a family that had a stainless cooktop and oven and one day when the cleaning lady cleaned the cooktop all of the markings disappeared, i.e. black dots indicating which burner. Oh, I thought how awful she must have felt so I have mentioned this incident to whoever I feel would appreciate it. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15