Potbelly Stove – a rethink

Welcome to the Greypath National Seniors Website Forums CoffeeHaus Potbelly Stove – a rethink

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  williamthebold 8 months, 2 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 306 times

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jackSprat
    Keymaster

30 years ago when we built our house, M and I installed an IXL potbelly gas heater because we figured that when we retired we wouldn’t want to be chopping kindling and lugging firewood into the house.

Now we are both retired (and getting used to the new household dynamics) we are re-thinking the pot belly stove. It seems that natural gas prices are on the rise and will continue to rise in the absence of strong govt policy. Australia is exporting too much of our natural gas apparently.

Somehow the idea of a wood-burning stove has gained in appeal and the wood-chopping effort less daunting. After all, it would be good exercise for our ageing bodies!

We are fortunate to live on a block with many trees and consequently a lot of fallen branches to be collected and disposed of every year.

The current gas-fired pot belly serves as the ultimate slow cooker with a top plate on which to place a soup pot or casserole. It’s been a great heater over the 30 years and still gong strong. Any replacement would have to have a similar slow cooking feature.

At this time it is just a project concept that has been added to our very long list… but a pleasant thought that ignites our childhood memories of watching the flames in the fireplace. Good for our mental health at any rate.

abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

Yes I’ve been burning my own wood for some years and though I don’t have that many fires it certainly beats using the A/C. Though I do need help with chainsawing big branches the rest just adds to my exercise regime. Always good to be able to breathe in fresh air without any traffic fumes too.

williamthebold
    Participant

Just a  couple of thoughts.
    I thought we had to avoid burning wood and coal?
    Doesn’t doing that put all that nasty carbon dioxide back in to the atmosphere?
    Is burning natural gas considered less harmful?
    And ‘dead’ wood lying around on the ground…
    I was told that we should avoid disturbing it, as it is home for a multitude of small animals and insects.
    We don’t want to put them out of their lodgings do we?
    There will be necessary and practical exceptions to these things of course.

jackSprat
    Keymaster

Hi William,

Your comments are noted. I understand the impact of your thoughts. But I’ll still consider a wood-burning heater. And I’ll work on carbon offsets for our household.

So many dilemmas for the “modern” human to consider.

It’s a beautiful day.

williamthebold
    Participant

Thank you for your comments.
    Here it is overcast and raining, but still a beautiful day.
    I know the sun will be shining brightly; it is just that there is cloud in the way.
    I was told about disturbing dead wood on the ground by an elderly relative, so of course I had to take note.
    Overall, in daily life, we seem to be where we must compromise to continue practical living.
    Sometimes we are obliged to undertake the lesser of two evils?
    Not really a win for anyone.
    On a completely different note, I was using google to check up on some of the places I frequented when I was much younger.
    Seeing them brought to mind long hot summer days, and aimless rambles along streets totally changed now.
    The people, many of them ‘characters’, who lived in the area, and who added many stitches to the fabric of my life.
    Long ago and far away…..
    Now back to the present vicissitudes of living.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15