Prescripitions

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Jen Jen 2 weeks, 3 days ago. This post has been viewed 88 times

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dusty WA
    Dusty WA
    Participant

Have any of you been charged a premium on your scripts if you ask to be given exactly what the DR ordered?  Chemist asked do you want this or genetic ,I said I would have what the Dr ordered, and was charged an extra $1.90previously I paid extra for Mycardis, but not for anything else,So when did this sneak in?   I was harbouring the thought that if it was in “the List” it was $6.50 Just wondering ,I’m not as observant as I once was

rob
    Participant

I have found that they do the same at my chemist.  The generic is the one that is cheapest,  and the brand name costs more.

williamthebold
    Participant

I would like to mention here that not all ‘generics’ work exactly the same as the ‘originals’.
    I am not saying this is so in all cases, but I have found to my dismay that it is so for the medication I need.
    Generics just don’t cut it for me.
    I pay extra to have the ‘original’ brand.
    A bit of a nuisance, but there it is.
    We need a medication to work right?
    I think ‘premiums’ only came in to force earlier this year?

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

What are the current patient fees and charges?

Patient co-payments

The co-payment is the amount you pay towards the cost of your PBS medicine. Many PBS medicines cost a lot more than you actually pay as a co-payment.

From 1 January 2019, you pay up to $40.30 for most PBS medicines or $6.50 if you have a concession card. The Australian Government pays the remaining cost.

What is a Price premium?

A price premium or brand premium, may apply to some medicines and is an additional payment that you pay to the supplier of the specified brand of a PBS medicine. The additional charge does not mean there is any difference in quality between brands.

An alphabetical list of medications which attract a brand premium is available at:

http://www.pbs.gov.au/browse/brand-premium

Agree re some generics not doing as good a job, despite what the PBS says.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Dusty,

According to the PBS website, Micardis attracts a brand premium of $3.77 or $3.77 depending on strength. See

http://www.pbs.gov.au/browse/brand-premium?initial=m

Not sure when it came in. I’ve been paying a premium for one of my meds for a few years now.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15