Problems using Greypath

This topic contains 1 reply, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago. This post has been viewed 1251 times

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

jackSprat
    Keymaster

The flow of new communication devices such as  tablets, phablets, smartphones, etc into the consumer market is unending. We are increasingly using devices other than laptops or desktops to access our favourite websites. Sometimes everything works fabulously well and sometimes not 🙁

The Greypath website is produced and supported by a few unpaid and occasionally otherwise preoccupied volunteers. We recognise that Greypath members sometimes need technical help and advice in order to get past annoying little issues with the website. Sometimes other tech-savvy Greypath members are able and willing to assist. This is the place to exchange knowledge and suggest workarounds.

Thanks for helping 🙂

• This topic was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by  jackSprat.

Anonymous

Hi Jack just a thought, have you thought of removing  Senate, Coffeehaus , Jokes, Health,  & Top tips, and replacing it with forums Forum’s button making it a one click to view every thing.

Should you add more programs to GP you would have extra space to more things

Cheers …………. Stewie

jackSprat
    Keymaster

It’s always an option Stewie; it’ up to the boss in the end and consideration of how members like to access their favourite places.

Thanks for your comment – noted.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

You’re a fast mover young Jack Sprat!! … the Hennessey Venom GT of Greypath. See it clock 270.49 mph earlier this year.

🙂 Thanks for the Tech Support Forum and the FAQ section. Much appreciated.

Anonymous

Jen, I would like to discuss what I consider a small problem with your LINKS. In some posts, like the one above, you are using just a word or few words to link to another page. In most forums that is quite a common way for tech savvy members and well accepted worldwide.
    Many months ago here at GP we had a couple of spammers doing exactly the same thing which of course led to different, perhaps even dangerous, pages. We started teaching the GP members NEVER to click on any link that wasn’t a full URL. Once people developed a habit, say clicking on ‘short’ links in GP, it is likely that they will do the same when just surfing the net. I am sure that you understand the pitfalls and I wonder if you could help by avoiding the use of short links? Please consider. Thanks.
    Cheers 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  jackSprat.
    Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Hi Nico … many thanks for the info. Can understand your concern with spam links on Greypath. Don’t have that problem personally as when I poise the cursor over a link it shows the full link in the status bar at the bottom of my browser window.

Most sites I use regularly e.g. ABC, Fairfax, News Ltd, other international news sites, Wikipedia, YouTube, BOM, banks, social media and shopping sites all use short links and image links. I imagine many other members use sites that mainly have short links.

I guess one of the best rules is ~ only follows links posted by TRUSTED PEOPLE or TRUSTED SITES.

“If in doubt, get out.” Then apply the usual security checks.

BE VERY CAREFUL with links in forwarded emails, including the jokes many people keep passing round and of course, emails from unknown senders. Again, check the status bar.

Beatrice
    Beatrice
    Participant

Hello Jack, just wondering if there is any chance of a preview button please, so we can preview posts before we hit the submit button.

Many thanks.

didi - VIC
    didi – VIC
    Participant

Beatrice, I agree that a “preview” action would be great 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15