SAPIENS_A brief History of Humankind

Welcome to the Greypath National Seniors Website Forums Reviews SAPIENS_A brief History of Humankind

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Jen Jen 2 months, 1 week ago. This post has been viewed 143 times

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bettym
    bettym
    Participant

The above is  the title of the latest book I  have just read.

Written by Yuval Noah Harari. First published in 2011.

Earth is 4.5 billion years old. In just a fraction of that time, one species among countless others has conquered it : Us.

In this bold and provocative book, Yuval Noah Harari  explores who we are , how we got here and where we’re  going. ‘Sapiens’ is the thrilling  account of our history- from insignificant apes to rulers of the world.

This book has so much information in it that I have had to go back   to the start and begin reading some sections  again, to try and  absorb the fascinating  history of  us. It goes through all the different revolutions that    have occurred  right up to the present day when as he says. “Our once green and blue planet is becoming a concrete and plastic shopping centre’   How right he is I say!”

His last sentence says -“Is there anything more dangerous than dissatisfied and irresponsible gods who don’t know what they want?”

The book includes many comments from well known people such as – Barrack Obama-  who says ‘It gives you a sense of perspective on how briefly we’ve been on this earth’.

A  most enjoyable  but demanding read of some 500  pages  !! I would recommend that you ask your library to get a copy  in for you.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by bettym bettym.
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by bettym bettym.
    abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

Thanks Betty I will certainly do that. One of my favourite topics.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Thanks BettyM. Have always been fascinated by the development of the species … sadly now in a state of great decline IMO, no thanks to humans (their decimations and pollution of natural environments).

The latest info on the loss of essential insects is scary IMO. No pollinators — no food, no us!!

Plummeting insect numbers ‘threaten collapse of nature’

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15