Sleeping Beauty

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  williamthebold 1 month, 3 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 290 times

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    malmather
    malmather
    Participant

A report in an English “Newspaper ” said that a woman (or more likely a mz ) wants the sleeping beauty story banned because the prince didn’t get sleeping beauty’s permission to kiss her

Try to understand Mz, It’s a fairy story,  written at a time when women were normal

Jennywren-vic
    Jennywren-vic
    Participant

I heard that mal. And I burst out laughing!

Salina
    Participant

It would be laughable if it wasn’t yet another pointer toward where western society is heading.

williamthebold
    Participant

Thank you mal. You made me stop and think. To whoever would ban the story of the sleeping beauty I would say: on a purely technical level, you could be correct. But she is asleep, so he cannot ask her permission. Without his kiss she will not awake, and the story would go nowhere. A bit of ‘poetic licence’ is acceptable here to bring about a happy ending.
    The story should be considered in its entirety. To read anything perverse or unethical in to a small part of it is to take that part out of context?
    The overall ‘flavour’ of the story is friendly and acceptable to children.
    They like stories that begin ‘once upon a time’ and end with ‘and they lived happily ever after’.
    So ‘Mz’ should leave well-enough alone.

Beatrice
    Beatrice
    Participant

I suggest you people do a search for the truth of this, the mother does not want the book banned but removed from her 6 year old sons curriculum.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/1876060/mum-calls-for-sleeping-beauty-story-to-be-removed-from-primary-school-curriculum-because-of-inappropriate-sexual-message-about-consent/

While you are at it I suggest you read the original versions of Sleeping Beauty and the majority of other fairy tales, they do not make for nice reading for any young child.

jay
    Participant

Prince Charming should be brought to justice for sexual harrassment

What a disgusting creep – worse than Weinstein

By the way Mal – what is an mz ?

Beatrice – really? As McEnroe would say – You can’t be SERIOUS ???

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  jay.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  jay.

Salina
    Participant

I can’t speak for “you people” but only for myself.
    I don’t look at these issues in isolation.
    I see these issues that are emerging more frequently as time goes on, as a serious trend.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Salina.

williamthebold
    Participant

Beatrice, I do agree that some children’s fairy tales are ‘harshly’ worded.
    They can be quite ‘grimm’ in fact.
    I well remember that when I read my children and then grand children stories at bedtime, I would sometimes change a word or a phrase as I went along, to make the story more palatable for young minds.
    I think a lot of parents would have done the same over the years.
    That did create a problem though, because if I didn’t remember exactly how I changed it the previous time, they would pull me up sharply, and tell me I was wrong. Even so, those were good times to be alive.
    As an adult, I watched ‘The Wizard of Oz’ for the first time. I was amazed at how violent it was, and thought it unsuitable for young children. It surprised me, and still does, that it was so popular. Maybe I am out of step?
    And by the way, I did reread ‘the sleeping beauty’ to refresh my memories of it. The version I read was relatively harmless.

Beatrice
    Beatrice
    Participant

Hello William, it was the original version of Sleeping Beauty I suggested people should read, not the current one.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15