SOME OF MY PET HATES:

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  williamthebold 5 months, 2 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 554 times

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 16 total)
  • Author

williamthebold
    Participant

1. People who lick their fingers before they pick something up, or before they turn the page of a book.
    2. People who ‘fade right out’ at the end of a sentence. News readers do this a lot.
    3. People who consistently get past tenses mixed up. For example, they say ‘sunk’ in place of ‘sank’, or shrunk instead of shrank. News readers and politicians are guilty of this. (ask john howard)
    4. People on talk shows who continually interrupt others.
    5. People who refer to temperatures as hot or cold. (mainly weather presenters on Tv)
    A temperature is a number on a scale. A value. An amount. A number doesn’t have a temperature.
    Numbers can be high or low, increase or decrease and so on.
    So a high temperature means the air is hot, and a low temperature means it is cool or cold.
    Increasing means the air is getting hotter, and decreasing means it is getting cooler, colder.
    But the numbers on a scale are not hot or cold by themselves. They are numbers.
    So hearing temperatures described as ‘hot or cold’ is strange to say the least.
    I expect better from professional news readers and weather presenters.
    With this in mind, I note one exception: the pretty young woman who worked in the local shop when I was a young man.
    She was indeed a hot little number!
    At this point, may I be forgiven for my decadent humour?

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

LOL. I’ve given up on pet hates. As much as I loathed something someone else did/said, if it wasn’t in my power to change it … I figured out (after some time) why waste brain energy on it.

Think I must be a bit lazy in this regard!!

abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

Yes we have discussed this one before but I still cannot fathom why people MUST insert an apostrophe into plural words on signs. Much more understandable if they left out a possessive apostrophe.
    There are so many things that us oldies find abhorrent in today’s world and I guess it has always been so.

williamthebold
    Participant

Thank you for the comments.
    I am sure my teachers would be ‘hopping up and down’ with annoyance if they saw how degraded is the basic understanding, by the younger generation, of our own language.

malmather
    malmather
    Participant

I don’t like it when you phone a company some tinybopper receptionist answers thisiswendywelcometosluggitandrudgehowcanihelpyou.  I always say,  “can you repeat that a little slower please”  and I’m tempted to say “I don’t speak gabble”

williamthebold
    Participant

Goodness gracious me, as my grandmother was wont to say.
    You made me smile, a lot.
    ‘sluggitandrudge’ sounds like something out of charles dickens. ^_^
    Thanks for cheering me up Mal.

Greer
    Participant

Number 4 on the list………..for me, Virginia Trioli on ABC breakfast.

johnvic
    Participant

Like yeah, I got a few.
    Check out operators who lick there finger so they can open the plastic bags then handle my food. News reporters who think there’s a difference to a tree and an actual tree, using the word sex instead of gender, people who stand at the top of the escalator while they decide which way to go.
    Stupid old people who have nothing better to do but complain about others. 🙂

johnvic
    Participant

My last post on this topic was somewhat tongue in cheek however if I have to pick one thing that bugs me it would be today’s politically correctness. It seems these days almost everybody takes offence to something or other. It’s got to the stage where people are afraid to express genuine opinions, participate in debate or criticise anything for fear of being labelled a racist or bigot. If a person is told at work they are a slow and need to work a bit faster and they happen to be in a “minority” group they cry racism or bigotry. Do gooders, lawyers and group advocates have made parents wary of disciplining their children for fear of be called an abuser; many fathers won’t hug their children for fear of being called a paedophile. Violent offenders are seen as society’s victims, while those bashed and robbed where just in the wrong place or should have been more careful. PC is stifling discussion
    In my opinion Australians have lost the ability to laugh at themselves; or is it the “new Australians” that are changing us?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15