Soups

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Salina 2 months, 2 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 157 times

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

Being on my own I have sometimes been tempted to buy ready made soups and find most simply revolting. The ones claiming to have chicken or beef on the label have no such thing in the ingredients. Sometimes they say ‘beef flavour’ for instance and I’ve noticed lately the ‘flavour’ is now appearing in very small print under the ‘Beef’ on various labels.
    You also find much sugar is added to most of them and some are ruined by the amount of salt or pepper.
    This morning I spent an hour cutting up vegies to add to my stock -not easy with my hands- but the wonderful result was at least 15 good serves of tasty soup in the freezer. Tomorrow it will be the turn of stews which are a great standby in winter. I still use a big pressure cooker for these exercises.

Salina
    Participant

That is so true abirdo.  Even the old standbys like Campbells and Heinz contain lots of sugar or salt or both.

I used to make a huge pot of chicken broth from the bones one could buy at the deli.   I  think they’re not allowed to sell them now.   But a kilo or two of chicken necks is just as good.    Cooked  with some parsley, onion, a ripe tomato or two, and a bayleaf, with a bit of pepper and salt.

Then I can cook pastine…..little pasta, and some veges in it. delish

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Totally agree Abirdo. Would love to be able to buy decent ready-made soup but seems impossible … little “real food”. Just one example of something off the shelf.

You have to laugh, don’t know why they’ve got enhancer in it, nothing to enhance!!

• Chicken powder 1%, • Vegetables (corn, onion powder) 4%

Time for homemade pumpkin soup I think.

pome
    Participant

My wive get a 1.lt. off stock and 1.kg off frozen mixt veg.and 150 grams off shreded ham and season to tast it makes a bout 6 meals for us and it is good.

bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

I mostly make a minestrone  type soup these days, Either a pork hock  (if I can find one not expensive( about $6  no way am I paying 0ver $13 for one or I use lamb shanks) let it simmer till the meat looks like thoroughly cooked then let get cold over night scoop off fat then chop the meat discarding fat, skin, and bones, back into pot with Italian soup mix  plus other soup goodies like chopped up veges maybe pasta,   we like it thick so its yummy. A soup pot full lasts about three days for us.

Although if my husband has it for lunch as well as evening meal it goes pretty fast.

Salina
    Participant

Love lamb shanks for soup.   I drop in a bay leaf or two and some peppercorns.   The well cooked meat is lovely the next day, in a jaffle with tomato sauce.    I’ve still got one of these that I bought second hand years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15