Speakers on Radio

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  klo7 11 months, 4 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 334 times

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bettym
    bettym
    Participant

Have heard a few guest speakers lately on the radio, mainly females I must admit, the number of times they say ‘UM’ after just a few words and all the way through  what ever it is they are talking about  it is appalling,   ‘UM ‘sounds dreadful.  I wonder if anyone ever speaks to them about this habit that they probably don’t even realize they do it

And this has been on the ABC

malmather
    malmather
    Participant

Only yesterday it occured to me that the news reporters seem to be mostly young girls about 18 with gravel voices,  the ones reporting from outside locations

abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

These ones are literally lost for words if they can’t see the Cheat sheet! It seems time that public speaking should be a mandatory subject in schools as so much communication is just texting.

Tedwalker
    Tedwalker
    Participant

And a lot say ‘er’ which sounds just as bad.

Abbey NSW
    Abbey NSW
    Participant

“you know” is one that gets me, mostly from interviewees.

klo7
    Participant

As I have posted previously the standard of diction has reduced in recent years.

Even the standard of every day speech in many cases has resulted in a mumble [yes my hearing has deteriorated] and much of the conversation is a gabble. At one time there were broadcast training schools and  it is obvious which announcers graduated from these.

The standard of the ABC of past years is missing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15