Sunday and Monday mornings

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by jackSprat jackSprat 7 months, 1 week ago. This post has been viewed 352 times

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jackSprat
    jackSprat
    Participant

Before retiring from paid employment I occasionally succumbed to “Mondayitis” and the feeling of “back to the salt mines…” On the whole though I was fortunate in being able to find employment in jobs I liked. I think it was much easier for my generation in that regard.

In these days of “retirement” (unpaid employment) I look forward to the first day of the week and getting back to business with the various activities I am involved with.

Generally Monday means that the people I do those activities with are also out and about. So there’s usually an email to send or a coffee catch up to plan for the week.

I try really hard not to send, or respond to emails on Sundays. And in our culture a reasonable response is “Hey, it’s Sunday; take a break OK”.

I have a repeating item in my calendar called “Household Duties” assigned to Sunday mornings – that’s when M & I do our weekly shopping – first to Aldi, then a coffee just with M, and then completing the grocery buy at another local store. And on some Sundays around noon there’s often a Skype, or Google Hangouts video call to family in other parts of the world.

The ‘Household Duties” diary entry is also a reminder to me that I must reserve some time every week to attend to our household and not over commit to worthy volunteer work. It’ so easy to say “Yes” and then regret the offer later. 2018 may be the year of saying NO.

Happy days…

williamthebold
    Participant

When I read such an interesting post, I note it can be both entertaining and thought provoking.
    There are things to learn if you read carefully.
    It reminded me that a life organised is a life better lived.
    It reminded me that natural activities such as shopping, meeting, talking, are pillars of life.
    Thank you.

jackSprat
    jackSprat
    Participant

Thank you William. Yes meeting & talking are pillars of life. And so important to our well-being. No doubt there are mental/physical processes involving chemicals somehow. I am not a biologist, chemist or anything like that but I observe that I feel better after talking with people, family, friends or whoever. And that is generally face to face talking. Though the Greypath Forums are a fair enough substitute… 🙂

williamthebold
    Participant

I think perhaps we feel more secure in a group?
    So meeting and talking engenders that feeling of ‘secureness’?
    Anyway, we have evolved to communicate, so I suppose that is natural for us.
    Just a couple of thoughts for the melting pot.

Salina
    Participant

Mondayitis!   How well I remember. LOL  Arrive at  work, feeling a little glum, step into the lift, and the office wit would say:   “let the games begin”, every week.   LOL  Once I sat down though, that feeling would dissipate, because I loved my work.   But strangely enough, I’ve never mentally, completely got out of the Mon to Fri as separate from “ripper, it’s Saturday feeling.   If that makes sense…

jackSprat
    jackSprat
    Participant

I suspect many of us put Monday to Friday in one box and Saturday & Sunday in another.

Maybe because Saturday & Sunday is time under our control whereas the working week is not completely so. Or so it was “pre-retirement”.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15