teddy bears

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Salina 3 months ago. This post has been viewed 373 times

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    malmather
    malmather
    Participant

did you have a teddy bear when you were little?

Salina
    Participant

No teddy bear for me.   I remember one girl doll which I had for years.   We couldn’t afford many toys back then.

I’m curious, Mal.  Why do you ask?

abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

My sister had a teddy bear and kept it all her life. A bit the worse for wear but I now keep it in memory of her.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

I’m curious too Mal. Why the question?

In answer, I had a koala bear ted as a young child and still have it in pride of place at my home. His last media appearance was on Facebook at my house to cheer on the 2018 Commonwealth Games athletes on the Gold Coast where I live. He’s got two mates now, Willy the Koala (given to me by the guy who wore the Willy bear suit at the at the Los Angeles Olympic Games in 1984) and Borobi, the koala mascot of the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

L>R: My Ted, Willy, Borobi at my place.

We watched every event at the 2018 CG together LOL.

🙂 I’m very fond of this trio, as you may gather.

Tedwalker
    Tedwalker
    Participant

Never mind our young days.
    My partner has a great love of teddy bears.
    She has about forty of them, some presented by me, all round the house.
    Sometimes I feel I’m being spied on by them.

malmather
    malmather
    Participant

why did i ask.

•  i find now that i’m remembering all kinds of things from the late 30s and 40s,  when i was 3.5 years old the germans invaded poland,  from then on there were no more toys made unless someone made something in their shed,  however i did have a teddy bear,  he was with me all the time,  when the bombs were falling teddy and i sat under the table not really understanding what was happening,  but heard the big bangs and bells of the fire engines,   it seemed like some kind of game hiding under the table.
    • when i was about 6 my mother took teddy off me,  “big boys don’t have teddy bears”  thinking about it later i would guess that someone wanted one and my mother could have got a few bob for it,  at the time it didn’t matter,  by then we had dustbin lids for shields and sticks for swords and our gang  were out looking for germans to kill.  if teddy is still around he might be worth a small fortune now,  he was a war hero after all.
    Jen
    Jen
    Participant

• he was with me all the time, when the bombs were falling teddy and i sat under the table not really understanding what was happening
    • when i was about 6 my mother took teddy off me, “big boys don’t have teddy bears”
    • if teddy is still around he might be worth a small fortune now, he was a war hero after all.

What a wonderful story Mal. Thank you, very poignant. Perhaps your Ted is still out there somewhere looking out for you.

malmather
    malmather
    Participant

a few years ago in an op shop i saw a very small teddybear,  about 3 inches tall,  i bought it and for a while i had him in the top pocket of a jacket just peeping out,  but then i married sheryl and she got lots of other little dolls and i made a ferris wheel and they are all on there now,  if little kids come i will spin the wheel for them,  needless to say,  little ted doesn’t pay to ride on the ferris wheel,  he knows the owner

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

🙂 How lovely Mal.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15