The Australian Language

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by bettym bettym 2 weeks, 6 days ago. This post has been viewed 139 times

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    bettym
    bettym
    Participant

On reading one of today’s papers (Sunday) an article says on  a survey of about 3000 refugees the Australian  language  confuses them and  the word  they have the most trouble with is” G’day Mate”  and they list all the meanings they think it could mean. Then there was a list of all other Aussie words that we are so used to- you think nothing wrong with that word.( I am now home so don’t  have the paper to quote sayings, but they are all common ones.

But apparently swearing is so common and used all the time Mmmm I don’t recall hearing alot of swearing (only in this house when something goes wrong). WE do have a Australian accent  that we are not aware of till someone says something about our accent , do we have an accent we say?, ‘Oh my ‘is the answer with big rolled eyes.

Tulip
    Tulip
    Participant

Yes Bettym they do have a problem with our slang. We also all speak alike, whereas some countries like the UK,the different counties have different accents. East London compared with someone from Yorkshire.

Dusty WA
    Dusty WA
    Participant

I have been speaking “Ocker” for near on 90 yrs and will continue to do so until I fall off the twig .I never had a need to utter the F word or worse,although it does seem to have crept in over the years I always considered bloody ,buggar and even the other B word a term of endearment like a bloody dag, a daft buggar,  or a likeable bast**d, all good old Aussie words to me and always will be

bettym
    bettym
    Participant

Another little comment re our language– The new waitress at a local coffee shop who comes from Turkey says when taking orders and folks want eggs some tend to say’ Sunny side up’ she said she had no idea what that meant and had to go to the kitchen to ask them what it meant.

Made us laugh but then we   wonder what  other sayings  they have trouble with, when they are all so familiar to us.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15