The Little People of Quesnel

Welcome to the Greypath National Seniors Website Forums CoffeeHaus The Little People of Quesnel

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by jackSprat jackSprat 4 months, 1 week ago. This post has been viewed 399 times

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Timetrvlr
    Timetrvlr
    Participant

I suppose every town has fire hydrants, usually paint red, one on every block. Our town decided to dress them up and hired an artist to paint caricatures of the colourful characters of our past history as a gold mining boom town. I believe there are 32 altogether and this is a sampling of them.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

They’re really cute, thanks Timetrvlr.

A lot of farming towns in Australia have wheat silo art now, in an attempt to get more tourists to stop for a while in their town while passing through.

Kind of big to your little.

The flowers in the bottom photo are one of our native banksias.

bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

How lovely  are the little people, also the silo’s Seems quite a few people are now into painting silo’s I know one who  was one of the first doing such wonderful painting work.

bannie
    Participant

Just lovely the silos and the little people. what I love are the wood carvings of local pioneers in our area we have about 5 of them in our shopping strip. Lakes entrance has a lot of them where the old cypress trees were cut down and as is it a fishing port they are all of a maritime theme. These are all in Victoria timetrvlr

Salina
    Participant

Very innovative.   I didn’t know about the silos here in Australia.

They need a bit more publicity.

The little people are delightful.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Those tree stump sculptures in Lakes Entrance are great Bannie, especially the WWI ones.

An avenue of Monterey Cypress trees was planted in 1924 along the Esplanade to commemorate the 26 local men who lost their lives during World War I.  After the aging trees had to be removed for safety reasons in the 1990s, chainsaw artist John Brady transformed six of the stumps into memorials showing moments and stories from the World War One period that commemorate those who died or were injured: a World War One soldier, a wounded soldier with a donkey, a World War One nurse, Simpson helping two wounded soldiers and a family waiting for their father.

malmather
    malmather
    Participant

Jen,  there are ,  and a few are starting to be made in Loxton SA similar carvings in Renmark SA,

the carvers are using dead old pines which have been cut down to about 8 feet high

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Those ones in Loxton are looking good Mal. I like the native animal theme.

Timetrvlr
    Timetrvlr
    Participant

The silo paintings are fantastic! I’m glad someone thought of that, it’s beautiful! The soldier memorial sculptures are great too, so much better than a simple commemorative plaque. I see Jen posted some good chain saw art sculptures too. That’s a fairly common art form here but then our local economy is based on forestry so it’s to be expected.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15